Synthesizer programming Megathread.

Yoozer

• Members
Hmm thanks Yoozer... I thought it would be difficult..

I'll see if I have some FX-patches that sound at least a bit similar and just settle with that.

That might be something worth sequencing ahead of time and triggering, or sampling, instead of trying to play live...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At the time I don't have a board that samples. I'm getting the Blofeld sample license soon though.. And I never use sequences live, I like to do everything myself (read: I don't know how I would do that).

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

Sounds FM / DX7 to me... though possibly its simple enough FM to do on an analog...

Yeah, I think the upper partials have an FM/DX7 sound to it, and there is a nice bit of low end to it either layered in or as part of the sound. But also it has that distinct sound of a single sample that is being played back at different pitches. So I think it may have started out as a DX sound and then been sampled.

Either way, I'm clueless as how to make this sound. I'm not experienced in FM synthesis, and I don't have any real Yamaha gear to play around with.

Maybe someone could point me in the direction of a (preferably free) VSTi that could potentially be used for this.

Trying to learn on Onyx FM but not having much luck. Could use help with that. Thanks!

EDIT: I also think I could be totally wrong about the FM thing and that this might just be some really old analog sound like from an old Moog or something. Sounds reminiscent of old Moog LPs. (In which case I'm even more clueless as to how to make it!)

• Members

I'll give this a try when I'm home again.

But also it has that distinct sound of a single sample that is being played back at different pitches.

It doesn't have to be that way - because the DX7 had some really awesome support for keytracking, which is how you can make "split" sounds on a monotimbral synthesizer. It could do the "sampled" effect by using that.

As for an easy solution: try this using this.

• Members

EDIT: I also think I could be totally wrong about the FM thing and that this might just be some really old analog sound like from an old Moog or something. Sounds reminiscent of old Moog LPs. (In which case I'm even more clueless as to how to make it!)

Simple analog FM can be made on many analog synthesizers, by modulating the main oscillator with another audio-rate oscillator. Some had the option where you could FM the two VCOs together by default. Some have LFOs that sweep into audio range, so you could perform it this way.

This doesn't *quite* sound like an analog to me, though. Back in older times, I had a DX27 which I programmed extensively though. To my ears, this sound actually could be done on a DX 4-op like the DX27/100 or the TX81Z. Basically it was pretty easy to get that sort of klangy sound using one of the lower algorithms. The lower algorithms had more "operators" (frequency modulating oscillators) to add those klangy harmonics to the "carriers" (fundamental tones, which were always a sine wave in the DX world).

• Members

Simple analog FM can be made on many analog synthesizers, by modulating the main oscillator with another audio-rate oscillator. Some had the option where you could FM the two VCOs together by default. Some have LFOs that sweep into audio range, so you could perform it this way.

While this is true, the minute you try to make it polyphonic it becomes quickly obvious that the modulation depth must be matched between voices. Building a polyphonic FM from analog requires VCAs with matched transconductance gm. That's one of the few places the Andromeda and Omega 8 missed the boat.

• Members

I'll give this a try when I'm home again.

As for an easy solution: try
using

Thanks. Very interesting.

OK, I snipped a cymbal sound at similar points as shown and looped it in shortcircuit.

Added some low end and a bit of mid from OnyxFM.

This is what I have so far. It's only a crude approximation and needs a lot of improvement!

http://mysite.verizon.net/toronado455/232oif23onfq2f3/soundtry.mp3

• 3 months later...
  • Members

does anyone have a sysex patch for the CS1x for the main part, after the 8 secs of warbling?? sounds like a string patch, very messed about with!! (noobie bear with me :rolleyes:) it was 81 if i remember!! a while ago.. I read somewhere that akk the 80's DX stuff was just using presets as no one could program the thing!! every 8o's filmtrack you ever wanted in one machine lol...

C

Archived