Please explain modelers

brebis

• Members

Hi,

Can I use a modeler connected to the front of a tube combo? There will be 2 preamps and amps if I do so, ie the ones in the modeler + the ones in the tube combo...

What's the point of putting FX after the amp sim in a modeler? We never do that in reality...

Thank you for your help.

• Members

If you're modeling stompboxes, by all means run them in front of a tube amp. If you're modeling amps, the tube amp will then lay its own sonic "blanket" on the whole thing. That tends to sound not so good, but can work ok, especially if you turn off cabinet and mike simulations in the modeler. But if you really want to take advantage of the different amp sounds the modeler has to offer, you should run it into as neutral an amp as possible, and preferably bypass any tone controls etc. If the amp has a series fx loop, plugging the modeler into the loop return will help. The most neutral reproduction will come from using a powered monitor (full-range PA speaker with power amp) - then you'll be using both the amp, cab and mike models, without the whole thing being coloured by the guitar speaker.

Putting fx after the amp is actually done all the time in reality - every time you mike the amp and add reverb etc in the mixer, that's what's happening.

• Members

Can I use a modeler connected to the front of a tube combo?

Yes. No reason why not.

There will be 2 preamps and amps if I do so, ie the ones in the modeler + the ones in the tube combo...

Generally, it's better to set the amp up to give you as clean and un-coloured a sound as possible and use the modeller as you would normally. If you have an effects loop on the amp, you could connect the modeller to the "return" socket, like this:

Guitar -> modeller -> effects loop return.

...which will allow you to use just the power amp from your combo and bypass the tone controls.

What's the point of putting FX after the amp sim in a modeler? We never do that in reality...

Not in a live context, but it's done all the time in recording studios, and getting a "finished" sound like you'd hear on a record was the point of modellers like the POD when they were first created.

• Members

If you go right into the preamp section of the tube amp, just trim your line out level fairly low to attenuate the modeller friz but use the power tubes. The guitar tube amp speaker won't give you all the dynamic swirls that a full range speaker thereby negating some of the potential the modeller...but gaining some warmth. I've stumbled on to the ghetto rig used about $150 includes vox tonelab tt, into a 1949 pp 6v6 monoblock (sans preamp section) and out to a an old 1970's alnico 12" full range speaker...sounds delicious (including ability for real feedback) for a basement noodling/jam rig and stays tasty at low volume to keep the Mrs. happy.

Archived