Boutique Pedals? Nah... Boutique Wines

Ryan.

• Members

I like wine, its a whole different buzz. We go on winery tours out in the Temecula Valley every summer. The first time I went, my girl and I got smashed by the second winery - had too much fun "tasting". Now, we barely catch a buzz, but walk away with cases of wine.

• Members

Man I hear you on that... I need to try out the Temecula wineries...

Its funny how the later the day gets the easier it seems to buy more and more wine...

Napa would be a nice weekend as well. Where you at in NorCal, and which kinds of wine do you like to drink?

• Members

I enjoy wine a lot, and live in a big winery area in upstate NY. Known more for their whites than reds, but the latter are improving too. I don't consider myself a connoisseur by any means, but I'd like to be more knowledgeable at some point. We do offer a very cool vinification program at the University I work at: http://foodscience.cornell.edu/cals/foodsci/research/vinification-brewing.cfm

• Members

Napa would be a nice weekend as well. Where you at in NorCal, and which kinds of wine do you like to drink?

I live in Sacramento, so we've got the Foothill wineries that are really close, but when you move up to Napa wines its hard to enjoy the local stuff.

Some of my favorites in Napa are Phelps, Robert Craig, Freemark, and Whitehall. Expensive but excellent. For basically all summer I was drinking really big bold Cabs, but thanks to my girlfriend I've been buying more Merlots and Pinot Noirs...

How about you?

• Members

I enjoy wine a lot, and live in a big winery area in upstate NY. Known more for their whites than reds, but the latter are improving too. I don't consider myself a connoisseur by any means, but I'd like to be more knowledgeable at some point. We do offer a very cool vinification program at the University I work at:

I'd be interested to taste some NY wines. Its pretty amazing how different climates produce different tastes.

• Members

oh god the "wine tasters"

Wine%20Tasting%202.jpg

In 2001, Frederic Brochet conducted two experiments at the University of Bordeaux.

In one experiment, he got 57 wine experts together and had them taste one glass of red wine and one glass of white wine. He had them describe each wine in as much detail as their expertise would allow.

What he didn

• Members

I had an amazing time at the Silverado winery when i was there

Never been to Silverado, I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

Speaking of Napa... any of you make the lunch stop at Taylor's Automatic Refresher?

BOMB food on a wine tasting trip.

• Members
I enjoy wine a lot, and live in a big winery area in upstate NY. Known more for their whites than reds, but the latter are improving too. I don't consider myself a connoisseur by any means, but I'd like to be more knowledgeable at some point. We do offer a very cool vinification program at the University I work at:
http://foodscience.cornell.edu/cals/foodsci/research/vinification-brewing.cfm

I've been to a handful of the Cayuga wineries. They're pretty awesome :thu:

Loves me some vino.

• Members

I have a few friends who a really into wine. I've had a few glasses here and there, but I can't really get into it. Probably just haven't had the right wine
yet?

Its an acquired taste and some people just don't care for it. Pair the right wine with the right meal though and you might be amazed...

• Members

Wine%20Tasting%202.jpg

In 2001, Frederic Brochet conducted two experiments at the University of Bordeaux.

In one experiment, he got 57 wine experts together and had them taste one glass of red wine and one glass of white wine. He had them describe each wine in as much detail as their expertise would allow.

What he didn

• Members

Wine%20Tasting%202.jpg

What he didn

• Members

yeah taking it too seriously is def not the way to go. i drink cheap wines and sometimes more expensive ones (i use expensive here very loosely) and it usually results in good times

also was at hop kiln a few weeks ago. dug it al ot

This.

Its all about what you enjoy. I enjoy Coors Light as much as Chimay. Just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

• Members
I live in Sacramento, so we've got the Foothill wineries that are really close, but when you move up to Napa wines its hard to enjoy the local stuff.

Some of my favorites in Napa are Phelps, Robert Craig, Freemark, and Whitehall. Expensive but excellent. For basically all summer I was drinking really big bold Cabs, but thanks to my girlfriend I've been buying more Merlots and Pinot Noirs...

How about you?

I like cabs and merlots, but especially syrah for reds. I know its extremely ghey, but I really enjoy sweet white wines. Orange Muscat is probably my favorite. :love:

• Members
I like cabs and merlots, but especially syrah for reds. I know its extremely ghey, but I really enjoy sweet white wines. Orange Muscat is probably my favorite.
:love:

Thats funny, I really enjoy whites too. My GF pretty much hates them. I can't get too sweet, but a chard or sauv blanc on a summer evening with some shrimp scampi...:love:

• Members

That "study" Robo posted, I don't know how anyone, let alone everyone, could be confused between the different types of wines, i.e. white vs red. They don't taste alike, not similar. I can see tricking someone with cheap wine and expensive wine, but even then, opening the bottles, switching wines, recapping them, I dunno but it seems a bit unscientific to me. That said, I rarely buy expensive wines because I don't think I have the taste buds to tell the difference, but I believe some do.

In fact, I would trust TAG, because TAG knows taste, and I value his opinion.

Archived