Nord Electro as a learner keyboard?

• Members

Hello folks,

So after many years I have finally signed up for some proper piano lessons and realize that none of my existing synths are very good for learning how to actually play. I don't have a decent piano sound and all my keybeds are synth-action and not particularly good feeling. I've been wanting an Electro for a while now and this seems like it might be a good excuse to get one. How do you think an Electro would work for someone trying to learn how to play piano?

Thanks

• Members

Absolutely not. The Electro keybed isn't even that good for playing organ on, I'm afraid.

If you're going to do piano lessons and need those sounds to boot, get a use S90 or a MO8.

Yes, I said it, A YAMAHA MO-8. Those have a really nice keybed I discovered whilst feeling around for a new ROMpler. I was very close to getting that instead of an ES because I loved the way it played. And, unlike the MO6, the MO8 is built out of metal.

I did not like the Kurz keybeds at all. The RD300 is pretty nice, too, but the one that impressed me was, yes, the MO8. Especially if you can get one around $1100 or so.

• Members

"This wouldn't change anything from synth keys."

Really?

There are some other really light weighted synth keyboards and the Nord is pretty much semi weighted and decent.

Someone mentioned the Motif, which is actually pretty darn light. When I've played them I didn't really like them.

• Members

If you're serious about taking lessons ... do yourself a favor and get a real piano. They're literally giving them away these days. A little judicious searching for the right one, a little sweat to move it along with a couple hundred bucks for a good tuning and adjustment - and you'll have the best thing for a piano student. At a fraction of the cost of any of the synths being suggested.

• Members

If you're serious about taking lessons ... do yourself a favor and get a real piano. They're literally giving them away these days. A little judicious searching for the right one, a little sweat to move it along with a couple hundred bucks for a good tuning and adjustment - and you'll have the best thing for a piano student. At a fraction of the cost of any of the synths being suggested.

ditto

The older the city, the more likely you are to find a good ancient (1900 to 1930) piano for cheap or free. SF is a pretty darn old city, so I'd really suggest that route.

• Members

I just got my first keyboard a couple of months ago. Guess what? It's a Nord Electro 2 61! I love it, I just can't get enough of the Electric Pianos and Organs. The acoustic piano isn't great but it also isn't terrible, you can tweak the EQ to get it to sound good.

I took it to my piano/keyboard instructors tonight and he had a blast, he was really impressed by the organ (he has a B-3 and leslie in the same room.) He made the thing sound magical.

The only thing I want now is an 88 key fully weighted board with a great piano sound so I have an FP-4 (Roland) on the Fedex truck set to deliver tomorrow (I hope I didn't just curse it.)

I say if you want the Electro and like the 17 lb weight go for it! I don't regret it a bit, though after these two purchases I'll have to take up a second job!

• Members

can not stress enough: the Electro keybed sucks some seriously nasty ass. Especially for practicing piano lessons on.

Strange, becuase I rather enjoyed it. I felt it was a nice balance between Synth/Organ feel and Weighted.

The build quality also seemed to be quite good. The keybed just felt nice. It's been a while since I sold mine, but I remember it was a very inspiring instrument to play.

• Members

I guess I must be on my post-Electro thing. I loved my Electro, warts and all. I wish Clavia would update the damn sounds, or do a mk3 version instead of suggesting we all buy Stages.

I hated the keybed from the get-go, but I still had fun playing it. Live, the Electro is sublime. In the studio, it sucks. Period. Live you're pounding on the keys, jiggling around, looking at your bandmates, your ears are burning - {censored}, what's not to like about all of that with that simple, yet wonderful sounding instrument there. It's a great live board.

I'm not playing live right now. I'm "in the studio" where nuance reigns. The Electro is horrible for nuance, excepting the volume pedal. And instead of it inspiring me - since I was well past the honeymoon, I was distracted by its lack of nuance. I would imagine someone trying to learn piano would be distracted, too.

• Members

this horse is beat to {censored} but it still has some life in it!

the Nord Electro is a great keyboard for many things. Playing acoustic piano is definitely not one of them. the onboard piano patch sounds bad to most everyone's ears and the updated ones you can download from Clavia aren't much better. In fact, when I'm playing my electro on a song that calls for acoustic piano, I either play the "electric grand" patch (much like a Yamaha CP70) or the wurli patch. Either way, it's passable for rehearsals, but I would NEVER gig with that piano patch.

On top of that, they keybed feels nothing like an acoustic piano keybed. If you're trying to learn piano, this a just a bad, bad option.

Some folks here suggested the Yamaha P series and a few others... probably all decent options. I don't think anyone suggested the Casio Privia series, which has very good sounding piano patches, great key action, and is really damn affordable.

As always, go to your local music store and try out the different keyboards to see what fits your needs the best.

My $0.02.

Poor horse... I think he's dead now....

• Members

Strange, becuase I rather enjoyed it. I felt it was a nice balance between Synth/Organ feel and Weighted.

The build quality also seemed to be quite good. The keybed just felt nice. It's been a while since I sold mine, but I remember it was a very inspiring instrument to play.

I agree. I got excited when I posted, as I love my little Electro. However, after re-reading the original question I have to agree you would be better off with a fully weighted board with a good acoustic piano sound. As I said I ordered a Roland FP-4, but that was after quite a bit of research and going back & forth. I wanted a simple but quality board with nice acoustic & passible electric pianos.

I looked at the FP-4, Kurzweil SP2X & Kawai MP5. What won out was the light weight, speakers for home practice and inputs as well as outputs. I think they are all great keyboards, just depends on your needs and budget. I think they all, or at least I know the Roland & Kurz have drumbeats to practice with, which are actually fun for noodling at home. Lots of good choices these days!

Archived