NY Cases/Island Cases

BTBAM

• Members

Anyone have/use one?

I just bought one for my Dr. Z. I just wanted something...and really didn't want to spend a lot of money, since I could upgrade it myself. I was going to buy the wood and everything, piece it together with a friend from work...but when I saw a kit already pieced together and upgraded to ATA specs for 118 shipped...I couldn't pass it up.

I'm still going to be putting on my own casters, so I can have bigger wheels than they provide.

Internal padding is a carpet material it says. I just got the case a little bigger than I needed and am going to line with foam, if I don't just gut the carpet in general and line the whole thing with foam. Still...going to be under 150 for the whole thing whatever extent I do to it.

• Members

My amp came with one. It's a nice enough case for getting it around town, but I definitely wouldn't trust it on a plane, and it's probably not going to save the amp from a fall from any kind of height. The internal padding is 1/4" foam of some kind, and the wood it's constructed of is pretty thin too.

I was told mine is the ATA Glider. Replacing the wheels is a good idea, BUT SO IS DOUBLE CHECKING THE MEASUREMENTS! They sometimes do things like not account for the rubber feet on the bottom of an amp. :facepalm:

tl;dr Nice case for around town, but I'm not buying that these things are ATA.

• Members

I had a live in style head + 4 space rack from island cases and it was wobbly as {censored} with or without anything in it. Wasn't solid at all and it was carpet lined. Went with the Canadian company (angstrom I believe?) for my Budda SuperDrive II 80, and that thing was a tank. Way too much $$ though. I guess it just depends on what you're putting in it. I'd go with something a little nicer for your Z.

Edit: nevermind I see you already bought it.. I should add the one I had I bought in 05. I'm sure they could be nicer by now.

• Members

Well here would be my question. Will it provide more protection than a padded cover, and would wheels make it a more convenient option than a padded cover? If so, it's really not much more expensive than a nice padded cover, and is a whole lot cheaper than a nice road case would be. Sure it may not provide the same protection as a good quality one, but it provides more protection than none at a pretty decent price.

• Members

Yeah from what I remember hearing, after a while the top and bottom parts of these cases have a helluva time lining up with each other easily and the headaches associated aren't worth the cheap price.

Can't believe everything you read though. I hope you get it and it blows away anything else you've owned in terms of construction.

• Members

Well here would be my question. Will it provide more protection than a padded cover, and would wheels make it a more convenient option than a padded cover? If so, it's really not much more expensive than a nice padded cover, and is a whole lot cheaper than a nice road case would be. Sure it may not provide the same protection as a good quality one, but it provides more protection than none at a pretty decent price.

If you're looking for a replacement for a padded cover, this is your guy. It's going to provide more protection than that, and it's always easier to roll something than to carry it. My only complaint about the one I have is the wheels. They're rather small and cheap, and I should get off of my lazy ass and replace them, but I'll probably procrastinate until one of them breaks.

• Members

Like I said, I'm putting my own casters on it, reinforcing the bottom most likely with more plywood for said casters too. Basically it'll be better than not having a case. I don't plan on going on a plane with it...just want something for loading in/out of the van for shows, and easy pushing around. It is lined with carpet, that's why I'm also putting on more foam.

My Rock Hard case for my amp was 450 bucks...I'm not shelling out something like that again. I mean, it does it's job, and I didn't want a padded cover, only to still have to carry it around everywhere. Protects the tolex, and moves easily.

We'll see how it turns out.

• Members

From what I'm reading...it is definitely a "get what you paid for" company...but I upgraded to the ATA specs...and from what I hear that is significantly better than their standard cases. The have better reinforcement on the corners, and the recessed latches and what not.

Here's to hoping!

Archived