Mysterious rig issues

blacklodgebob

• Members

Hi there,

I love reading all the info on this forum, but Ive been having some frustrating issues with my rig lately, and was hoping some of nice folks could help me figure out what the hell is going on...

Heres a quick breakdown on my pedalboard:

BBE supacharger powering a polytune, custom wah wah, ts9x2, ross comp. Anything else is bypassed with a true bypass looper. Whenever my band is practicing in my room everything with a regular true bypass switch pops pretty loudly, even the poly tune, which is normally silent. I thought the supacharger would eliminate ground loop issues? Seems to be obviously an issue with us running 3 amps off one outlet, but the service to my house was upgraded to 200amp service, so I thought we could plug 100 amps into one outlet without problems...

Anyway, enough with the cause, how can I avoid having issues like this at shows? Should I get a noise filtering voltage regulating power conditioner? Apparently my buddies furman m-8 power conditioner doesnt make a damn difference. I appreciate any help, as this is really frustrating. Tonight I thought the Polytune was broken, I get all the way to the store, we plug it in, and it sounds/operates perfectly. Its like why in the hell bother having a big isolated power supply and rack power conditioner when Iam going to get ground loop hum/loud popping anyway?

At this point I almost want to bite the bullet and get a trio of Lehle II bypass loopers, but Iam guessing Id still have issues until I can get this power worked out. And again, all these effects run off standard 9v tip, the supacharger is in mint condition, and all the dip switches are set for 9v.

Help! Please and thank you!

• Members

hey Hiwatt, thanks for your reply. Iam using Georgle L cables, and typically, they either do or dont work ya know? so its possible there is a bad cable that still letting my signal through but is in fact damaged somehow? cause Iam not having any "drop out" just loud pops and other weird very static type issues.

• Members

hey soulsonic thanks for your reply, no carpet, its hardwood floors.

all the pedals are firmly places on a pedal train with velcro. i opened up every pedal and none of the jacks are loose or grounding out on the enclosures?

id also like to add, i own 2 bbe supachargers, and this happens with either one.

• Members

hey Hiwatt, thanks for your reply. Iam using Georgle L cables, and typically, they either do or dont work ya know? so its possible there is a bad cable that still letting my signal through but is in fact damaged somehow? cause Iam not having any "drop out" just loud pops and other weird very static type issues.

i use george L's too--but imho, they're notorious for the ground connection coming loose (speaking about the 90 deg, pedal connectors). every once in a while a cable will lose it's ground and i need to go through all of my cables and isolate it.

first go guitar into amp and see if everything's ok. then add in one pedal at a time until you isolate the issue.

• Members

hey thanks again for your quick reply,

iam gigging so much these days, i really cant afford to keep having issues. last saturday my entire pedal board "grounded out" whenever the kick drum hit the front of house subwoofers. earlier in the show the true bypass looper decided to pop so loudly i couldnt use the effects in the loop. things got worse when the band started to blast out of the club system. i didnt want to mention that as I thought it was an unrelated issue. but i guess this makes a hellva lot more sense. So the georgeL's are losing contact when vibrating? I thought once you set a george L cable, it worked until it didnt ya know? so they can partially lose contact? kinda makes em want to use different patch cables...

• Members

I use two long george L red cables with straight connectors, and the rest black george L short cables with 90 degree connectors. A lot of times I have issues because one of the 90 degree cables has loosened up. Usually you can find this simply by wiggling each patch cord, if its bad you will hear static when you wiggle it. Surprisingly I had an issue with one of my long red cables and it just had to be re-cut, i had thought they were immune to the problems of the 90 degree connectors but i was wrong.

Sometimes I will have popping problems if one of my power cables is touching a george L cable or another pedal.

My latest problem was caused by an old faulty strat 5 way pickup selector.

• Members

yep--the "thumscrew" type end on the L shaped ones can come loose and lose ground contact. i usually have to totally undo that cable and reattach the ends. 99.9% of the time i have issues with cables i'm constantly unplugging (ie fuzzes where i use batteries and not adapters).

• Members

fixed! apparently a 90 degree monster patch cable had snuck into the mix. i iso'd it as the culprit using a working george l and another monster patch cable. unbelievable! iam going to super glue some of these george l's to keep them from loosening up and stop using monster patch cables. ( i think that one had gotten on there to save floor space)

Archived