vox ac4tv advice?

fadedjoy

• Members

i'm looking at getting a vox ac4tv for christmas with the extension cab and throwing a weber 12" blue dog i've had laying around in it. i'll also probably replace the tubes with jj's and the pre-amp with a 12at7. anyone here played around with this? i've read good things here and there, and it seems like with a few mods it would make an excellent at home/recording amp, even a good mic'd gigging amp. i'm currently playing with an orange thunderverb 50, and while i really like the power and the attenuator, it would be nice to have something low wattage just for being at home, but still be able to play with my friends if i wanted. i play a strat and a double cutaway les paul type guitars.

any advice or info on it is appreciated, thanks. :wave:

• Members

I've found that it sounds really different in the 3 different power settings, and that it sounds really awesome at full power. Attenuating is cool if you just need quiet, clean amplification, though.

I've not swapped speakers or tubes, but I can speak highly of JJ's from experience. They're my go-to. Great pricing.

• Members

I'd use a 5751 instead of a 12AT7. Both tubes have the same gain factor, but the 5751 is more closely related to the 12AX7.

Dig this:

12AX7

• Gain Factor: 100

• Current Output: 1.2mA

• Transconductance:1600 uMho

12AT7

• Gain Factor: 70

• Current Output: 10.0mA

• Transconductance: 5500 uMho

• Gain Factor: 70

• Current Output: 1.0mA

• Transconductance: 1200 uMho

thanks for the great info, i'll probably go with the 5751.

everything i've read says that a new speaker (especially the weber blue's) and new tubes really make this amp come alive. a lot of people recommended the 12at7 for higher headroom, but from your information i'll take the 5751 rout. the orange and my 65 bassman are just too loud at home. thanks.

Archived