1973 Fender Blender - Germanium Diodes with Low End

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

I really love the Fender Blender! I have been playing mine with a baritone Lp into a Matamp w/4x12 Marshall cab and there is plenty of low end. It sounds massive but I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the bari - Mat setup. It is also great with my Klein/Carr combo. I got a good deal on one locally so I picked it up even though I'd never really wanted one before and am glad I did.

• Members

What are the alternatives to the Fender Blender? Can anything else replicate the sounds it produces?

You mean a less expensive alternative? Or any alternative?

Ronsound makes a clone, but I'm pretty sure his clone is more expensive than buying a used RI Fender Blender, because his components are upgraded.

It would need to be a pedal that uses Germanium components to get that crackly tone. Maybe a Vox Tonebender, or a Germanium Big Muff? :idk:

• Members

You mean a less expensive alternative? Or any alternative?

Ronsound makes a clone, but I'm pretty sure his clone is more expensive than buying a used RI Fender Blender, because his components are upgraded.

It would need to be a pedal that uses Germanium components to get that crackly tone. Maybe a Vox Tonebender, or a Germanium Big Muff?
:idk:

Well the reissue seems to be pretty cheap so price isn't really an issue. I suppose I'd maybe prefer something smaller though. I just wondered how unique the sounds it produces actually are. What distinguishes it from other octave fuzzes?

• Members

yup... how much did you drop for yours btw?

and how are the reissues?

i haven't heard good things about the reissues, the good news is that mike from shortscale.org can clone the originals, i want one BADLY

[video=youtube;TqJKVdm-XGI]

EDIT: i forgot how good of a "i wanna be your dog" sound it does

• Members

Well the reissue seems to be pretty cheap so price isn't really an issue. I suppose I'd maybe prefer something smaller though. I just wondered how unique the sounds it produces actually are. What distinguishes it from other octave fuzzes?

IMO it tends to be more metallic and "splatty" than other Octave Fuzzes.

• Members

IMO it tends to be more metallic and "splatty" than other Octave Fuzzes.

"Splatty" is a pretty good descriptor. It has similar tonal characteristics to the Fuzz Factory in that way (Germanium), but without the over-the-top gain. The gain on the Blender gets close to something like a Big Muff Pi. Also, the Blender has more low end than the Fuzz Factory.

What makes the Blender versatile is the Blend knob, which reminds me a bit of my Deluxe Big Muff Pi. The distorted signal works well with a bit of clean to add definition.

• Members

i love fender blenders!

IMG_1085-1.jpg

I'm working on getting one from each year of production.

The reissues are no comparison, in my opinion, they sound like poop.

the originals aren't really that expensive any more. You see people charging $300+ for them, but no one ever pays that.

If you wait, you can nab an original for around $150, which is amazing for how awesome they are.

• Members

Why are the reissues so inferior? Different components?

The components are different, but I don't know which components.

The one in this pic has different disc caps than mine, but I'm pretty sure these are vintage as well (no 9v jack). So even the vintage ones use different components.

fenderblender013.jpg

2708003158_a5b2fdc20e.jpg

This looks like a reissue:

blender%20guts.JPG

• Members

This looks like a reissue:

blender%20guts.JPG

yeah that's the Reissue.

to me they sound "inferior" because they are close enough that you can tell what they were going for, but not close enough that they are good.

The general sound is there, and on youtube they sound similar...

but when you play them in person, you can hear that they are not as Full, Warm, low-end heavy, or out of control.

It's like they worked so hard to get the "splatter" sound of it that they missed the boat on the rest of the tone.

Also, I still hold that older technology, by its nature, is flawed in a way that most of us hear it is as sounding better. Usually there are more harmonics created, or the tone is more "warm" or "organic" because of the old components. Everything is made to be 'exact' these days and in that you miss out on why they sounded so good in the first place.

I don't want a polished fuzz tone, but I do want my computer or flat screen TV to be perfect, which I would guess use some similar components.

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Its that same "Vinyl vs. CD" conversation put into pedals.

CD's sound more perfect and slick, while vinyl adds its own color and warmth to the sound that some people prefer..........................

in short, blah blah blah...

I just like the originals better. :facepalm:

Archived