SOT: Show me your part-together builds.

roaring20's

• Members

I'm strongly considering parting together a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, and was curious to see some forum members' results. I know a couple of people have done warmoth builds on here, and that's probably the route I'm going down. So, to those of you that have, any suggestions of ways to make it simpler/more affordable/better?

• Members

First tip: Use the Warmoth" Thrift store"(in stock) for some awesome deals. My top woods are AAAA Flame Maple and look spectacular in person. Cost me 30%less using the thrift store. You also get to see the body or neck front to back before buying. If you want a solid color they may have it in stock and you'll save a lot versus having a custom ordered paint job.

Here are my builds:

l_0050b0808d61411e81ee0b0251fefbad.jpg

l_3e504879a34d4c92b0d99b15351795ed.jpg

Bodies are stained then shot with clear Nitro Laquer. I used about 4 cans of DEFT clear per body. Necks are tinted amber and "tru-oiled"

• Members

79 Strat body w/ Dimarzio Super D and Area 61's. Warmoth Boatneck

P1010352.JPG

It's Tele Brother from USACG (Bill Lawrence Keystones, GFS parts)

P1010141.JPG

I am currently working on a thinskin arctic white hardtail Strat (USACG Web Special body, classified ad Warmoth neck and a Burstbucker in the bridge pos.

• Members

DSC02108.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

DSC02113.jpg

Just a cheesy replica of rivers cuomo's blue strat I built. Mines a bit different to go with my sound. Mahogany body, and different pickups. I had the original pick up config he had, but I didn't care for it, so I put a PAF pro in the neck and a super distortion in the bridge. Also I took out the black ice capacitor and just made the tone knob coil tap the bridge humbucker.

• Members

DSC02108.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

DSC02113.jpg

Just a cheesy replica of rivers cuomo's blue strat I built. Mines a bit different to go with my sound. Mahogany body, and different pickups. I had the original pick up config he had, but I didn't care for it, so I put a PAF pro in the neck and a super distortion in the bridge. Also I took out the black ice capacitor and just made the tone knob coil tap the bridge humbucker.

Super D in the bridge of a Strat is a definate cure for teh thinness

• Members

+1 do not skimp on the neck!!! Check eBay and other forums for used hardware, Warmoth is kind of pricey for hardware.

I definitely won't be skimping on the neck. I'm looking to get one with the same spec's as the neck on my '72 Tele, but either with a satin nitro or tru-oil/tung oil finish to it. I love the feel of the '72 Tele neck, but that gloss is a pain.

There's a local guy who handwires pickups that I'm going to see about getting to do mine as he'll do them to whatever spec's I want. I figure I'll mostly Angela/eBay for hardware. Should be a fun thing. Right now its all planning, but its some of the most fun I've ever had with guitar.

Also; all the guitars in this thread are gorgeous.

Archived