Can a 1 Spot...

• Members

...possibly provide 18v to a pedal? Is there an adapter for this?

The Power Pump (linked to by mr benn) will pump the voltage up to 18 volts.

Maybe one that brings 2 tips form the daisy chain into one? Does it even work like that?

No, that won't work. The plugs in a daisy chain are all connected in parallel, so bringing two together will either do nothing (if they're combined in parallel) or short the power out (if they're combined in series, which is the normal way to double the voltage). For that to work, the two plugs needs to come from separate power sources.

Do the ODs out there that are 9 or 18v
really
sound
that
much better at 18 as opposed to 9???

No. They sound different at higher voltages, but whether it's a change you like or not is completely up to you. In general, an overdrive/distortion pedal run at twice the voltage will be cleaner with more headroom. More complex designs (such as digital pedals, delays etc) will not benefit at all from higher voltages, as they often regulate the voltage internally. Also, don't feed a pedal 18 volts unless you know that it is built to handle it. The capacitors in most mass-produced pedals are often rated at 16 volts, and there are op-amps that can only handle 14-15 volts. To be on the safe side, I'd only muck about with higher voltages if the manufacturer has stated it can be done.

• Members
maybe this???

http://www.tonetronix.com/pc/Godlyke-PP-9-Power-Pump/Guitar-Effect-Power-Supplies/Guitar-Effect-Power-Supplies.html

Thank you so much guys!

This is everything I needed to know. Period. Thanks again!!!!!!

Also, andreas, I wouldn't have even thought to mess with different voltage supplies if it weren't noted on the pedal. I was thinkin about this OD:

NOC02-2T.jpg

• Members

You can build voltage doubler boxes. There are ICs which will use extra current to make more volts, called "charge pumps"; there are two suitable for audio use that I know of, the MAX1044 and the ICL7660S. Some pedals use these internally already to give 18v from a 9v supply, e.g. the KLON, but they sometimes get blown and need replacing by static and pops and things. They're not that expensive.

• Members

You can build voltage doubler boxes. There are ICs which will use extra current to make more volts, called "charge pumps"; there are two suitable for audio use that I know of, the MAX1044 and the ICL7660S. Some pedals use these internally already to give 18v from a 9v supply, e.g. the KLON, but they sometimes get blown and need replacing by static and pops and things. They're not that expensive.

This is good info. So essentially, I could wire a chip in that will squezze more volts form the power supply. Man, I bet that would be tricky. Don't IC's have 8 little prongs? (The ones that came with my OD which has a socket so you can tamper did). I wouldn't have the first idea as to how to install that into a stock pedal. I can wire guitars, but this seems tough. Perhaps one day I will be able to use info like this.

Thanks all the same though. :thu:

• Members
This is good info. So essentially, I could wire a chip in that will squezze more volts form the power supply. Man, I bet that would be tricky. Don't IC's have 8 little prongs? (The ones that came with my OD which has a socket so you can tamper did). I wouldn't have the first idea as to how to install that into a stock pedal. I can wire guitars, but this seems tough. Perhaps one day I will be able to use info like this.

Thanks all the same though.
:thu:

You'd put it in a little box with two power jacks in it, connect the box to the power supply, and then connect the power supply to the box, and then connect the box to the pedal with a little cable.

Little box like this.

doubler2.jpg

• Members

You'd put it in a little box with two power jacks in it, connect the box to the power supply, and then connect the power supply to the box, and then connect the box to the pedal with a little cable.

Little box like this.

doubler2.jpg

Well, that's pretty neat then. Thank you sir. :thu: Good to know these things.

Archived