Which volume pedal do you use?

• Members

This one's easy.

I've been using a FV500H exclusively the last 5 years or so, and it's been good to me. But it's become squeecky and wobbly...

And it's supposed to have two ins and outs, but one pair never worked.

If you have the choice between a plastic volume pedal or wah pedal and one that's made out of ANY metal...

Don't even think about chosing plastic in this case:) Your foot is on it all the time, the thing is rocking back and forth. Durability and reliability is one of the main things when buying a vol pedal, right?

Anyway, there should be an Ernie Ball Stereo VP jr coming my way to replace the retired boss.

• Members

Just got a comfirmation on that VP stereo jr deal I mensioned earlier.

A simple volume pedals that everyone here ownes maybe isn't worth it's own NPD thread, so I'll just post a pic and short review, so you'll get a side by side comparison with the Boss. In all fairness though, the boss FV500H cost me about half of what I paid for the Ernie Ball...

• Members

I have two volume pedals. The EB VP-Jr is my main one, and the one I like best. The other is a Morley PVO that I bought cheap (to use as a rhythm-lead pedal), and there seems to be a problem with it that I haven't looked at yet. (substantial volume loss)

As for the VP-Jr then, I really do like it a lot. For feel it is very nice indeed. The Morley just doesn't cut it here (not that I particularly need it to). The EB has never noticeably spoilt my tone. I've never broken the string or had to put it back on the reels (apparently this is fiddly). The only problem that I have had with it is that recently it hasn't been going right down to zero very well (in heel down position it's not completely off, and needs to be nudged). I think this might be fixable with calibration, though.

• Members

Just received my EB VP jr. Got sorta ripped off though, the guy made me pay for a Stereo VP jr, and I got the regular one.

Can't try it out yet, but quality-whise there's no comparison to the Boss. Bigger, heavier, much better control over the sweep, which is too "light" on the boss.

One thing in favor of the Boss though, something I just assumed was standard on all volume pedals: A pot that allows you to set the minimum volume. Not a huge deal, but I've gotten quite used to it. It allowed for quick volume boosts, almost like on a clean booster (which ofcourse really boosts the signal rather then turning the volume back up). And I liked turning the minimum volume up a little for stuff like volume swells in combination with an actual swell effect, which don't sound as smooth and natural with the full sweep.

Archived