ot: home electrical: why do 2 of my basement outlets have different wires, HELP

hangwire

• Members

so I was trying to actually get some use out of 2 electrical boxes [no outlet face but wires inside and capped] in my basement.

I shut off the mains and went to work, but in one box there was a white, red, black... and in the box further down the conduit there is only red and white

so red is HOT side

white is the other

black is ground??? in the one... but the other then has no ground???

I am an idiot with this stuff, so any help is cool...

• Members

Most older houses do not have a ground wire with the other 2. If you have MC wire, then the MC wrapping is generally the ground. This ground the box, so run a bare wire from a screw in the box somewhere to your ground lug. If you have a plastic box, and no MC wire, then you're screwed. If you have a metal box, with no MC, then you're screwed. Otherwise, you should be good.

• Members

By US Code - white is the neutral, which SHOULD be connected in only one place (at the meter or the main box depending on local code) to earth ground. Green or bare would be earth ground. On nornal 115 volt circuits, black is the hot wire. On 220 volt circuits, black is one hot side, red is the other hot side. Older wiring boxes, which are made of metal, are supposed to be connected to earth ground.

If the boxes had blank cover plates, it is also possible that they may have been used as intermediate (splicing) points for something else, such as switching for an overhead room light, even separate wiring for room light and fan.

One major problem in the US Code - while anyone besides the owner of the house doing wiring legally must be a licensed electrician (or working directly under a licensed electrician), the owner of the house is legally permitted to do wiring. This often results in wiring that is not color coded properly. There is significant danger - 110 volts from a typical 15 amp circuit is more than sufficient to be fatal.

If you are not knowledgable about the dangers, your safest course of action is to hire a licensed electrician to wire it. If you do wish to do it yourself (and you are home owner, not a renter), a voltmeter can determine what is wired where - but great caution should be used to be sure you do not become part of an electrical circuit, which could result in anything from an annoying shock to electrocution. Body muscles exposed to electrical current will contract, so it is possible to shock yourself in a way that results in your muscles locking you to the connection.

• Members

in my basement.

I shut off the mains and went to work, but in one box there was a white, red, black... and in the box further down the conduit there is only red and white

These are not electric outlet boxes, they are junction boxes. If the circuit is already stressed you do NOT want to add outlets to these as it could cause a fire. The red wire is most likely a 'switched' hot wire, to turn on a light or fan.

i agree with everyone else, man... don't fugg with it if you're not sure.

• Members

These are not electric outlet boxes, they are junction boxes. If the circuit is already stressed you do NOT want to add outlets to these as it could cause a fire. The red wire is most likely a 'switched' hot wire, to turn on a light or fan.

i agree with everyone else, man... don't fugg with it if you're not sure.

Sometimes people will pull a 3 conductor, Black, Red and white plus a bare ground as a home run to the panel. The Black and red possibly share the neutral. Chances are maybe they stopped one circuit at the box you are in and continued the other on down the line. If you don't have a bare ground you're wiring is probably dated. Unless it was a switched outlet like said above.

• Members

No bare ground, I guess sone diy sites list that I should be able to just take wire and solder it to the metal case to ground the green screw on the new outlet face I have

Oh, and thanks to robo, my beard caught fire :eek: you owe me a beard :mad:

Archived