tell me about the DOD FX-17 and whether it can be used as an expression pedal

ambient

• Members

Thinking one of these might be cool to have around.

I saw James Iha use one and thought the wah sounded pretty cool, not a traditional wah sound but kinda filter-y I guess. Which is fine by me.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Thoughts?

I read that it can 0v to +5v controller to be used with synths. Is there any way this could be used control an M9? I really like the size (or lack there-of).

• Members

the fx17 doesn't have a pot in it so you couldn't use that

I imagine you could design a small circuit that could emulate a pot controlled by -/+5 and run off of the same power as the wah and mount it inside

you're a thinker :love:

• Members

I had one a while ago. I really liked the concept but I just didn't really gel with it. I found that when you set up the trimmers to sound good as a wah, it didn't really work as a volume pedal and vice-versa. My mind may be playing tricks with me but I think if you want to use it as a CV controller then it needed to be powered by a AC power supply. As a wah/volume it worked on a DC supply.

I never got to use it as a CV controller as my only analog synth (TB-303) went the way of ebay many moons ago.

• Members

First of all. . . if you don't have a multimeter, get one.

The DOD FX-17 has trimpots on it, and I believe with it you could trim the output voltage to be right for the M9.

There seems to be some speculation that the M9 takes a control voltage, but not 0-5, and something more like 0-2.5 or 0-3.5.

Try to get in contact with Line 6 and find out, and once you do, use the trimpots to trim the uppermost voltage to the maximum voltage.

Or you could use a CV to midi converter to convert the 0-5 CV to a midi signal.

I had one a while ago. I really liked the concept but I just didn't really gel with it. I found that when you set up the trimmers to sound good as a wah, it didn't really work as a volume pedal and vice-versa. My mind may be playing tricks with me but I think if you want to use it as a CV controller then it needed to be powered by a AC power supply. As a wah/volume it worked on a DC supply.

I never got to use it as a CV controller as my only analog synth (TB-303) went the way of ebay many moons ago.

Your mind is playing tricks on you. It gets powered the same if you're doing CV, but you have to use a wall wart, no batteries.

• Members

I tried using the CV on my FX17 with the M9, ages ago, but even after endless tweaking, I got some weird results. :(

I would love if I could get that set up working. I currently have an EB Jr and I hate giving up all that space to a pedal that doesn't need to be that big!

Here's a thread on L6 forums for more info:

http://line6.com/community/thread/26729

• Members

exactly, I've never been that into wahs so I don't really care about the 'feel' of the pedal being traditional.

I love the size of the fx-17, it's also pretty cool how the pedal works though seems kinda ghetto rigged :

the key to how this pedal works. When the pedal is assembled, that U-shaped piece attached to the foot paddle, the side mounted PCB and that piece of Mylar form a variable capacitor, the Mylar being the dielectric. The position of the foot paddle determines how big that capacitor looks to the rest of the circuit in wah mode.

• 2 months later...

Archived