Gibson amps?

dunnoaname

• Members

I have a '65 GA55 RVT. To me, this amp sounds like a darker Twin.

Mine was a mess when it was given to me. It wasn't from poor craftsmanship though. The previous owner did some poorly executed mods.

The one you are looking at is older than mine, but I would think Gibson was building them just as good a decade earlier.

The older Gibson amps sound very good, through the right speakers. Can be found pretty cheap too.

In case you haven't seen this yet.

http://www.netads.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/Gibson/gfmap.html

• Members

I am eyeballing a 1950's Gibson GA77 (vanguard)

Anyone know this amp?

How are gibson amps in general in terms of sound and reliability?

Sound, if you love those old jazz cuts, jump, blues, western swing, early rock n roll these are from the golden era of Gibson amps. Early breakup, a little dark, a little honk'n. Absolutely gorgeous if you ask me. Reliability? If it's been gone through by a tech recently it should be good to go but at that age if it were me I'd keep it at home only to bring it out to record with? Or maybe to bring out at "mellow gigs". Is it a two tone? :love:

• Members

Not sure about that particular model, but their early "bird series" ones (Skylark, Falcon, Hawk, etc.) are supposedly very good. One drawback is that some of these old Gibsons use preamp drivers such as 6EU7s, 6C4s, etc. that are relatively harder to find and more expensive. Nothing major though, they're not super obscure/rare either.

Another thing, the number in the model name (in this case, 77) has got nothing to do with wattage.

• Members

Sound, if you love those old jazz cuts, jump, blues, western swing, early rock n roll these are from the golden era of Gibson amps. Early breakup, a little dark, a little honk'n. Absolutely gorgeous if you ask me. Reliability? If it's been gone through by a tech recently it should be good to go but at that age if it were me I'd keep it at home only to bring it out to record with? Or maybe to bring out at "mellow gigs". Is it a two tone?
:love:

I primaily play Jazz and some blues. So I guess the sound will be what I'm looking for.

I will be using it at home and maybe for some jazz gigs. No big bar gigs or tourbus stuff though.

It's not a two tone. It looks like this

1961_Gibson_GA-77RV_Vanguard_86437.jpg

I'm worried about the price. I see some gibbie amps go for less than he's asking (750 euros), but the only GA77 v I can find a price on sold for 1819 US Dollars.

Archived