El Capistan Live Performance

guitapick

• Members

I saw the Pete Thorn demo of El Capistan and was very impressed. As a writer, especially. I can definitely see how it could lead you into some very creative places. Recording, too...catch the nuances and have all the settings "just right" for each piece. It's very, very cool.

Ain't cheap, though. I know I want a great delay...but that kind of money (and up) for a pedal: I've gotta make sure it's right. That's why I'm curious about how it is onstage. I'm sure some of you have given it some time, live...so waddya think? It's a fairly complex pedal...can you tell us how it translates in a live setting?

• Members

I'm sure it would be fine. So long as it's built well, tho I could see the knob changing to get a bit annoying if you accidentally change something on stage. I know that's why I tend to stay away from pedals that have knobs that can do more than one task.

For delay I'm running a diamond memory lane 2 and I've taken it everywhere with no issues (knock on wood) it's really expensive but my delay gas is non existent. It has 2 preset analog delay patches, a tap tempo and it has 2 expression outputs so you aside from the mix level of delay and the tone you can pretty well do any changes on the fly with your feet. Awesome for a live setting, tho not sure if I would pay the American asking price on one, Diamond is a Canadian company and they tend to be a fair bit cheaper over here for some reason. Actually I probably would still pay it considering how much I love it.

El Capistan is awesome but I think you would really need to know the pedal very well before taking it on the road, plus you would have to be mindful of not holding down a switch too long, which can be problematic if you're in the zone. But I don't see how it would be any different from any other pedal with switchable parameters, lots of people use these types of pedals live with not problems.

I say go for it. A good delay is a sound investment.

• Members

I'm sure it would be fine. So long as it's built well, tho I could see the knob changing to get a bit annoying if you accidentally change something on stage. I know that's why I tend to stay away from pedals that have knobs that can do more than one task.

For delay I'm running a diamond memory lane 2 and I've taken it everywhere with no issues (knock on wood) it's really expensive but my delay gas is non existent. It has 2 preset analog delay patches, a tap tempo and it has 2 expression outputs so you aside from the mix level of delay and the tone you can pretty well do any changes on the fly with your feet. Awesome for a live setting, tho not sure if I would pay the American asking price on one, Diamond is a Canadian company and they tend to be a fair bit cheaper over here for some reason. Actually I probably would still pay it considering how much I love it.

El Capistan is awesome but I think you would really need to know the pedal very well before taking it on the road, plus you would have to be mindful of not holding down a switch too long, which can be problematic if you're in the zone. But I don't see how it would be any different from any other pedal with switchable parameters, lots of people use these types of pedals live with not problems.

I say go for it. A good delay is a sound investment.

Yep...the proverbial "learning curve". I'm pretty good with that stuff.

Fact is that I'm really into the pedal. Wish it allowed for some presets...that would be sweet for performances. But I've gotten along without 'em before, in the past.

Tanks, Amigo...much obliged.

• Members

Yep...the proverbial "learning curve". I'm pretty good with that stuff.

Fact is that I'm really into the pedal. Wish it allowed for some presets...that would be sweet for performances. But I've gotten along without 'em before, in the past.

Tanks, Amigo...much obliged.

If you like the pedal, and the way it sounds, there is on question, go for it. I don't see how it would differ much from any other pedal. The presets is a bummer in a way, but it shouldn't take more then a couple twists to get where you wanna go.

Plus if you find it to not be working, or you find something better... you can always sell it (captain obvious I know but still)

• Members

Sounded pretty fantastic when I had a jam with drummer, other guitarist and 2 singers. Definitely sound as perfect amongst that as it does at home. The reverb adds a really nice ambience combined with the delay and the doing the 'hold tap' oscillation was like having a pad sound underneath the guitar and was totally non-gimmicky, always completely under control.

• Members

The pedal grabbed me. I like effects, but don't usually get riveted like this. That's normally reserved for guitars. I like the reverb option, too. My Boogie's got a nice one...but it would be cool to add that extra layer behind the delays.

I like the TC Nova, too...not quite the same, though.

Nice bow, tape...

Archived