What do you guys think about the Wampler pedals?

tonaldeath

• Members

I really kinda want a Pinnacle because I grew up listening to Van Halen, but to my ears, the Plextortion might be the better pedal.

I love my OCD, but I'd like a nice, tight distortion, too, and that might do the trick.

• Members

GMD seems to like the Pinnacle better than the Plex. I'm so torn!

I know! I'm torn too. I heard he liked it better too. The thing that is making me lean towards the super-plex (or its new replacement!?!?!) is that I don't want to cop anyone elses sound. i.e., van halen. I want something I can use to sculpt original tones with. I'm thinking the plex line will be better suited to that.

• Members

I was about to cross-post the following from TGP:

Just to let folks know the situation, we discontinued the Super Plextortion last month, so buying one right now means finding a dealer with one in stock still - but there has been a really strong resurgence of interest in it lately and so we're considering how to take care of people who want one. It sounds different from the Plextortion, and different from the Pinnacle, the only issue I think is that it has a name that makes it seem like it's an enhanced version of the Plextortion when that is not at all true at the circuit-level, they're completely different in their gain structures, totally different frequency shaping and EQ, and the end result is two distinct ranges of sounds. Repeating myself from two years ago here, but it has a different significance now obviously since I'm relating to you as a representative instead of a reviewer.

I'll have some more news soon, or Brian will, sometimes he beats me to it (and sometimes he just plain lets you guys know at the same time as he lets me know, haha).

But, proving me right, Brian beat me to it here! :cry:

Much much better? Do you know how many pedals that Super Plex beat out? The new one better give me instant eargasms every time I play through it, or I'll demand my money back.

That's the goal. And if it doesn't meet the criteria, you can get your money back (well, provided you bought it direct... dealers have their own return policies).

• Members

Terrible idea, don't do it!

Just curious, why do you think that would be a bad idea? Are you saying that the Super-Plex wouldn't stack well with a treble booster period, or that I should just arrange the chain differently than how I mentioned?

• Members

I have the Plextortion and the Paisley Drive. Both great pedals - the Plextortion does great high gain Marshall stuff (JCM800?) and the Paisley Drive is a super versatile pedal for low/mid/higher gain stuff. Very tweakable and great sounding. Lots of dynamics.

I run the into a Bad Cat Tremcat amp.

• Members
Glad you guys liked the super plex... it's discontinued now, but there is a new pedal coming shortly that is much much better than that circuit... and more flexible too
;)

Hey man, what's the time frame for the new pedal to be out? Also is it gonna be in the same pricepoint as the super plex?

Archived