Thoughts on very digital rig?

sideshowlinc

• Members

Haven't been on here in yonks, been traveling and thus have had no need to torture myself with GAS, but I'm going home to start a band soon. Basically, the band will consist of myself on guitar and vocals, 2 other guitarists, drums and bass. We're going to be playing a mix of prog, alternative, metal, and whatever else we feel like. Seeing as we'll have 4 guitars on stage, space is an issue, so we're all scrapping amps. I can already see some of you :facepalm: at this point, but oh well. Logistically its our best option. Looks as if they'll both be using Fractal Audio Axe-FX units, and will cover any modulation needs, and whatever other bizarre guitar sounds we can think of, whereas I just want to have basic cleans, distortions, delays, just your standard shiz. However, I would also like to have access to some synthy {censored}, noises that shouldn't come out of a guitar; pianos, sitars, pads, whatever. So at this stage I think this might be my best bet:

Fender Jag > Roland GR-55 > Line 6 POD HD500 > FOH

My question is, has anyone had any huge issues with either of these units? I understand the GR-55 is pretty much brand new so not many people would have tried it, but how about the POD? Also, I've been reading about the Roland VG-99, would this be a better option?

• Members

It'll certainly get the job done. I think the real question is how long til you grow tired of the tone? I had a POD Pro (certainly no Axe FX!), thought I was done with amps altogether a few years back. It was perfect for bedroom jamming, but I grew tired of the sound after just a few gigs. Even when I'd nail a setting that I really liked, I'd find myself coming back to that patch a few days later and being amazed that I ever thought it sounded good!

If most of the venues you play have a PA, why not just mic a bunch of small tube amps?

• Members

It'll certainly get the job done. I think the real question is how long til you grow tired of the tone? I had a POD Pro (certainly no Axe FX!), thought I was done with amps altogether a few years back. It was perfect for bedroom jamming, but I grew tired of the sound after just a few gigs. Even when I'd nail a setting that I really liked, I'd find myself coming back to that patch a few days later and being amazed that I ever thought it sounded good!

If most of the venues you play have a PA, why not just mic a bunch of small tube amps?

I think I'll end up getting an axe-fx down the line, just won't have the cash right away. basically we wanna go digital for the variety of sounds we'll have access to, something that would involve a {censored}load of pedals otherwise.

Archived