Your opinion on this mix

• Members

Yeah, drumming is really the only thing lacking in it. I can't tell if there is a bass track either. If there is turn that {censored} up.

Of course, those are just my opinions. I think the bass is never loud enough. Also, really like the main riff and volume swells at the end.

• Members

I hear tons of bass over here, myself? :idk:

You actually seem to have some crazy low end compression pumping going on there. You may want to ease up off the kick comp some, and possibly even put a high pass(low cutting) EQ on the kick element, to tighten it up and separate it from the bass guitar(or synth?) some.

• Members

You're mixing like a guitar player... at the end of the day the drums and bass are going to drive the song and should get a good bit more attention than they are being given. The snare and kick are generally the loudest thing in a mix, they have to cut through. There's a lot of compression pumping going on when the drums come in too... so pull down that compressor a bit. Don't be afraid to turn things down, I have that problem sometimes too, I'll mix to the point where everything is nearly clipping and I have to stop myself because it just makes for a mess.

Mix the bass and drums first, then the rhythm guitars, then the melody guitars... remember to make space for everything with your eqs, the thump of the kick is around 80hz but the click is much higher and you need both, the low end of the bass doesn't need to get in the way of the kick so pull that 80 down and give it a bit more around 120-180. Your snare also needs some low end to punch through otherwise it will just get lost in the cymbals... give it some 200-400. Guitars don't need all sorts of low end, let the bass be the bass... and don't be afraid to pan guitars and add reverb.

Just remember, most people don't care to hear noodley guitars out front... songs are driven by the rhythm.

• Members

Oh... and I'm not so much a fan of when cymbals and drums are panned hard... sure it sounds neat in monitors but it doesn't translate so well. Drums should be more or less centered, OH's and toms maybe out 40% on each side... the corners of the mix are for guitars and extras IMO.

• Members

I'd suggest going back to square one.

Get a really solid drum mix before anything. That's the biggest problem right now imo. The drums are just a long way from where they need to be and the compression needs to go, as mentioned above. Really pay attention to how you're EQ'ing the drums. Put some high end on the kick. A little more low end on the snare. The drum track needs to provide the movement NOT the weedly weedly guitars.

I would revisit the bass performance. It seems pretty inconsistent in some parts. Would it be a big deal to have him re-cut it? Is he using a pick or fingers? Is he really concentrating on playing precisely?

The guitars aren't bad. Maybe cut below 100hz

Overall it's not bad, I just think you need to spend more time with the EQ. Start carving out the place for everything. It's a cool tune!

• Members

Yea, try to recut the bass if at all possible... best case is that you have 2 tracks, one DI and one with a kick mic on a bass cab with a slightly overdriven amp, make sure they are phase aligned (zoom in on the tracks and make sure that the tips of the initial peaks of each hit line up, you should do this for anything you double mic) and you'll be amazed at how much better it sounds with both a mic'd and DI'd track... the low end and overdrive from a mic is hard to replicate with just a DI'd track. If you're going to compress anything hard, compress the bass to the point where it's at a fairly even level. I don't know what you're mixing on but I generally bus the two bass tracks together, compress them at the same time and eq in a good bit of extra 2k so that you can actually hear the tone of the bass... I also shelf out the extreme low end (

And most importantly, find the pocket with the drums and stay there... play with a pick too.

• Members

Yea, try to recut the bass if at all possible... best case is that you have 2 tracks, one DI and one with a kick mic on a bass cab with a slightly overdriven amp

And most importantly, find the pocket with the drums and stay there... play with a pick too.

Agreed on all counts!

Archived