Time to clean my Concertmate (Moog) MG-1 and...

benmate

• Members

I need your help.

I have this to go on:

http://www.cykong.com/Synths/Moog%20Realistic%20MG-1/MoogMG-1-Mods.htm

but... what if I wanted to "save time" and not replace all of the sliders and knobs that have black gunk in them. Is there some sort of magic electrical cleaning solution you guys have used to clean pots and switches? Do you think that it would be enough to fix it?

• Members

There's no easy way. I had the same nasty surprise when I opened my Moog Opus 3 a couple years ago... the foam had turned to goo. I bought it new in 1980 and had never had it apart. I didn't have to replace any sliders, but I did have to desolder a few, take them apart and clean the carbon strips with denatured alcohol.

I used a single-edge razor blade to remove large chunks of foam and a solvent called OOPs Multi-purpose Remover with Q-tips to remove the residue. You don't want the OOPs to drip inside the faders, so set the main board on one end and tilt it slightly forward (yeah, it's a pain). The Q-tip shouldn't be dripping wet. You can find OOPs at hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot

• Members

My advice is to just bite the bullet, get the Technology Transplant kit off of eBay, and get it done in one shot.

The reason for this is because the MG-1 is not very well made. The PCB is of extremely poor quality, like cardboard, and replacing controls "as needed" just guarantees you will have to open it up and fool with it over and over.

I did mine. It's well worth it. Get it done in one shot and the result is a reliable MG-1 that won't let you down.

Use the "working" original controls that you replace on other projects or add features to the MG-1 as you see fit. ;)

• Members

Here, if it's any consolation: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/moogmg1/

This is a group I created a few years ago to help support the MG-1. I no longer own mine, but all I can say is taking the foam-turned-goo out of that thing was nothing short of a pain in the ass, and be careful using contact cleaner because it will stiffen up the sliders eventually. But I got most of mine out (it stuck to the sliders though). I'm pretty sure there should be some pics of the job in there. If you feel like joining I'll be on the lookout for your request. I haven't really been active with it for a while but there are some pretty knowledgable guys in there.

Guest Anonymous

be careful using contact cleaner because it will stiffen up the sliders eventually.

I used low odor mineral spirits to clean the chassis and circuit board of mine. I then used Caig Deoxit to clean the sliders which washed away the slider grease. Email Technology Transplant and they will sell you a slider kit with out the knobs and cover for less $.

http://cgi.ebay.com/moog-realistic-mg-1-synth-Slider-Switch-Knobs-Decals_W0QQitemZ290265381118QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290265381118&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1417%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Archived