Recording a grand piano

ElectricPuppy

• Members

Just for you, PFC. No tequila involved, but it proves that I really, really need to get back in practice on the piano. I left my flubs int he middle for "authenticity". :lol:

Rusty Winners (aka Joplin's "Easy Winners" when played correctly)

Notes: Motif Rack via KX-88, played live. I'd forgotten how hard it is to get a wide range of dynamics out of the KX.

• Members

VERY NICE! (voracious applause here) I had forgotten how much I like that piece (and I know for a fact my Motif's piano didn't sound that good either). I was a fan of Scott Joplin ever since the score to "The Sting". I also like Elite Syncopations and Maple Leaf Rag (hint hint). I would have to work through those with a click, to keep from rushing (was a mad rusher when I learned). Thanks!

• Members

Thanks, PFC! :D

I fought myself to keep from rushing that one, and I think I still rushed in spots anway! I know most of Elite Syncopations, but the 3rd part (movement? I dunno what you call it) still kicks my ass. I also know the 1st and 2nd parts of Maple Leaf, being the first Joplin piece I attempted in high school. I know Solace and Bethena completely, and my wife likes me to play those for her while she lies in bed to put her to sleep. :lol: I made an attempt at The Cascades, but haven't got it yet. I used to know most of The Entertainer, but haven't played it in so long, I can't remember most of it.

• Members

With one condenser i would probably just put it in the spot in the room where it sounds best.

Record tiny snippets in different positions in the room, and find the ones that sound most natural to you.

Remeber to write every position down or mark it with something so that you can recall where the ideal spot is.

Good results have come from simple setups before ;)

Archived