Best ever music album of all time with....(a few) synth's.

sinew1958

• Members

For my Genesis.....'Selling england by the pound'.Released in 1973.The album went gold in the US in ....After 20 years???1990.Ok,you hear a lot of guitars and the piano,but they are synth's in the background.I can hear it!!!Yes,even in 1973!Certainly the mellotron!

• Members

For my Genesis.....'Selling england by the pound'.Released in 1973.The album went gold in the US in ....After 20 years???1990.Ok,you hear a lot of guitars and the piano,but they are synth's in the background.I can hear it!!!Yes,even in 1973!Certainly the mellotron!

the best thing on that album is the piano intro to firth of fifth. :thu:

• Members

This thread seems to be a Genesis thread in disguise.

I really like the sound on the live versions of Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show on Seconds Out, even though Peter Gabriel is not singing. Supposedly the keyboards are featured more heavily in the mix on that album because Tony Banks was very involved in the mixing process but Steve Hackett was not.

There are certain places on certain albums, especially live albums, that I have mentally called "rock-gasms" which are basically little spots where all the planets align, the music grooves, everything seems perfect, and I get a great euphoria. Cinema Show live on Seconds Out is darned close to a rock-gasm, though the best one for me is the groove and guitar solo on "Free Will" on Rush's "Exit Stage Left" album. The song is reproduced live on a couple of their live recordings, but that particular recording just grooves in the right place. I dunno how to say it other than that.

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong but the first album Pink Floyd used synth on was Dark Side of the Moon. (VCS 3 I think).

Very good use of synth on that album.

Some others for me are:

Curved Air - Second Album and Phantasmagoria

Yes - Fragile, Close to the Edge and Relayer

ELP - Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound and Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Roxy Music's first 2 albums

Lots of Brian Eno's albums (esp Another Green World)

• Members

I think Wish You Were is the most interesting Floyd album when it comes to synthesizers. But I belive that Pink Floyd's first album with synths was Obscured By Clouds.

Yes' Close To The Edge are certanly my personal favourite.

• Members

Styx - Grand Illusion.

Over the top, pompus, pop/prog. In a good way. DDYs 2 solos in Angry Young Man are legendary, and the Synth break in Come Sail Away is near perfect.

Pieces of Eight was really good too, but had some weak spots. DDYs synth solo "The Message" is jaw dropping. I wonder if he pulled that off live, probably not.

Another great synthy pop CD is The Cars first self titled.

For shear chops though, I think Dream Theaters Metroplils PT II, Scenes from A Memory takes the cake. The Arps in The Glass Prison are insane. And his 13/8 piano solo in Blind Faith is also incredible.

• Members

This thread seems to be a Genesis thread in disguise.

though the best one for me is the groove and guitar solo on "Free Will" on Rush's "Exit Stage Left" album. The song is reproduced live on a couple of their live recordings, but that particular recording just grooves in the right place.

I know what you are talking about, I think pretty much the entire ESL record has that effect. The only thing about it is that I have always understood it that they went back into the studio with the live tapes and overdubbed some parts on to it to iron out the edges before releasing the record.

I don't know if that's true, and I would rather believe that they played all those perfect jams live, but...I dunno.

• Members

The best Genesis albums IMO were Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering.

One of the best albums that nobody has ever heard: The Ladder by YES. A lot of people gave up on their albums after the "classic" period, but they made some spectacular tracks in later years. "Talk" has some good stuff, Big Generator has "I'm Running":thu:, Keystudio has "Mind Drive", The Ladder has "Homeworld", etc. If you're a YES fan and don't know these tracks, SHAME on you. Smithers, release the hounds.:lol:

Likewise, Black Moon by ELP has some excellent stuff. It's in a different style than the "classic" period but it's a valid album. RUSH has "Counterparts", an amazing album that their fans overlook.

Archived