New boost?

JMR

• Members

I've been boosting my new OCD with a DOD 250, and it's kinda ehhh. If I turn up the gain on the DOD any more than a 1/3rd of the way up, the bass fades and the upper mids and highs get really scratchy.

I'm kinda looking for a dirty boost, kinda fuzzy that doesn't lose the bass or low mids or change the EQ of the signal too much. I want it to be sort of percussive, if you know what I mean.

Or maybe there's a setting on the OCD that will solve this issue??

Halp.

• Members

I own quite few boosts, including an OCD and OD250. the best that I've ever used is a Smittydriver (Colorsound Overdrive Boost) clone. it has a treble knob, a bass knob, a gain knob, and a master volume knob. it's very open sounding with zero mid hump, it works like a clean boost until you turn the gain knob waaay up, then it starts getting dirty. for the last 8/10ths of travel on the gain knob it turns into a fuzz pedal, a great fuzz pedal. by far the best boost I've ever used, mainly because of the bass and treble control, transparency (no mid hump), and it just sounds great. they cost around $100.00

• Members

I know I may be in the minority here... but my new SHO kinda sounds like what you're describing. In fact, I was hoping for more of a straight up clean boost with a little bit of grit the louder you crank it, but it adds a significant amount of gain starting around halfway up the knob, and from there, it just gets fuzzier and fuzzier - still sounds GREAT, but I haven't noticed it really changing my EQ too much... if anything, it's a little on the darker side... but nothing that drastic. :idk:

• Members

Is this a latter-day 250? I had a gray one that was my OD for 12 years until I got ... a boutique OD based on a gray 250. :) The reason I loved the 250 is that it TOTALLY kept the bass big and firm.

I JUST got a Solid Gold FX Nitro today (will NPD it tomorrow) and it sounds amazing. It has "Rock" and "Clean" modes, and the "Rock" mode sounds like it'll fit your bill to a T. It also has a "Rich" and "Bright" toggle, and "Bright" is really well implemented--it cuts without being shrill, so if you find there's TOO much rock ... Also, the "Clean" in "Rich" mode has a REALLY nice drive character, and it might work if you crank the boost enough. Either way, to possible solutions for a dirty boost right there.

The Nitro stacks equally amazingly with my Solid Gold Superdrive (the above-mentioned 250-based which is a really rich OD) and my Blackout Effectors Mantra, which I have in low-gain mode and set to sound like a barely-dirty JTM45. The fact that it sounds unbelievable with two very different drives makes me think it should work with you, and I think of the OCD as a thick OD, as the Superdrive is. You could get it at PGS and return it if you decide I'm full of {censored}. Just sayin' -E

PS One dude (and, admittedly, only one dude) said the Nitro replaced his Klon. I've never played a Klon, so I dunno, but it sounds awesome.

I've been boosting my new OCD with a DOD 250, and it's kinda ehhh. If I turn up the gain on the DOD any more than a 1/3rd of the way up, the bass fades and the upper mids and highs get really scratchy.

I'm kinda looking for a dirty boost, kinda fuzzy that doesn't lose the bass or low mids or change the EQ of the signal too much. I want it to be sort of percussive, if you know what I mean.

Or maybe there's a setting on the OCD that will solve this issue??

Halp.

Archived