Fender Twin Reverb: Yay or nay?

• Members

Sheesh guys, how heavy could this possibly be, weight wise? I mean, we're not muscle heads or anything, but it can't be too bad to lunge from the house to the car and the car to the stage?

ha.. I have owned a couple of 'The Twin' ones. more modern but still Fender Twin 2 12" speakers. Its just really awkard heavy by shape more than just heavy. I would never gig with one constantly... I would rather own a head and then take the second trip to carry a 2x12 etc.

I agree with the other comments on the ear bleeding too ... mine were so unforgiving loud. 100 watts that even had the 25 watts switch down in that back to make it 25 watts. It barely made a difference in our band room. I then proceeded to pull tubes... only then had more controll to get it dirty up and saturate a bit .... phew! Even had to get a soak for it. Other than that it did the funk :love: that I miss.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

obviously i'm the odd guy out here but i think the 65RI sounds like crap compared even to a late 70's silverface.

Any Twin can be made to sound good, but the 'non-master volume' silver face Twin is the better of the Silverfaces IMO. The thing about a Twin is that once you get one, your 'upgrading' days are over. A Twin can handle ANY gig, ANYWHERE, and if it's too loud, TURN IT DOWN, and also, use the tilt-back legs!

• Members

Pussies. A Twin isn't that heavy. I'm practically a circus midget at 5'4" and I gigged with a Twin exclusively for 15 years without breaking my back. Damn thing was half my body weight when I started gigging with it. These days I gig with a Vox AC30H2 which is heavier than a Twin even without the pimping purple roadcase I carry it in.

• Members

...I have owned a couple of 'The Twin' ones....... mine were so unforgiving loud. 100 watts that even had the 25 watts switch down in that back to make it 25 watts. It barely made a difference in our band room. I then proceeded to pull tubes....

That's odd. Every Twin, actually every amp I've ever had has had a volume control on it. Did you try using that?

• Members

That's odd. Every Twin, actually every amp I've ever had has had a volume control on it. Did you try using that?

yes I did and once I got to 3 the drummer was bitching about how loud I was... meanwhile I haven't even got close to the sweet spot

• Members

Pussies. A Twin isn't that heavy. I'm practically a circus midget at 5'4" and I gigged with a Twin exclusively for 15 years without breaking my back. Damn thing was half my body weight when I started gigging with it. These days I gig with a Vox AC30H2 which is heavier than a Twin even without the pimping purple roadcase I carry it in.

Actually my Twin is rated 2 pounds heavier than yours. :D but ok. There are lighter twins though. ;)

• Members

Yeah, 3 IS too loud on a Twin for most gigs. 3 is too loud on a Deluxe for a lot of gigs.

The Deluxe will sing while my model will hit you like a stun gun at 2.5. but even at 3 mine still had that headroom which pulling the tubes helped getting into Saturation earlier. my point was about headroom rather than volume .... sorrzzz :) This was a challange for me with this powerful amp. I have had 100 watt Marshall and JSX with 4x12 that I was able to 'volume control' better in the same room and same drummer... entering a tone zone.

but again there are different twins.

edit: put it this way... I am much happier with a 20 watt Peavey that I can controll to my hearts delight than worrying about staying below 3 on the Fender for smaller applications :p

• Members

I don't know... I see silverfaces on the bay all the time for pretty low prices, and A) I've read that the old ones are much better, and B) I've heard pretty horrible things about Fender reissue build quality. (low quality PCBs, really cheap board-mounted jacks, etc - Are they all like that)

Archived