Good Synth Forums?

D

• Members

vnv is no worse or better than any trance act other than he refuses to shut up and quit ruining his songs with his crappy vocals. his writing is okay and once in a while he actually does something decent (although not recently).

I didn't know that VNV is still relevant, but at the time VNV started, what he was doing was sort of unique. ("Hey! Let's take this trance stuff, add vocals with simple goth-depressed lyrics, market to the black makeup sect, and profit!") Now, it's as common as dirt, but hey.

VNV furthermore writes lyrics that actually give him a competitive edge. Seriously. You might laugh, but the grade school level emo-goth poetry that is a VNV Nation lyric is actually a cut above most club-oriented goth/industrial bands. You read the lyrics to, say, an Icon of Coil song and tell me otherwise.

I kind of liked the future-pop / EBM scene in the early 2000s, as they carried the trance torch fairly decently back then, during a time where the original trance scene went to supersaw hell. Of course, nowadays, both scenes are meh, stuck in paint by numbers mode. But hey.

• Members

I kind of liked the future-pop / EBM scene in the early 2000s, as they carried the trance torch fairly decently back then, during a time where the original trance scene went to supersaw hell. Of course, nowadays, both scenes are meh, stuck in paint by numbers mode. But hey.

I think european EBM is starting to come around back to the raw early 80s belgian/northern england sound- if you heard any of the stuff coming out of the Waregem festival over the last 2 years- they are starting to get rid of that late 90s trance sound and back to more minimal electronics and new wave/industrial vocals-

I tell you what we really need: some of that late 80s wax trax! industrial-electro-funk-punk-goth-s&m-county-blues-rockabilly-metal-disco-house-wave- some early revco/tkk/kmfdm stuff (^__^)

• Members

D needs a Nord Wave. It has some great Sonic Reality strings, and the entire Mellotron library available, 4-op FM and a great virtual analog engine as well.

He can sound something like if Coldplay stole Radiohead's semen, transported it in their cheek pouches, implanted it into a Jersey cow named Lucy owned by U2, and then birthed by the skilled veterinary hands of Brian Eno...

• Members

Can anyone recommend any synth forums where artist's gear is discussed. Embarking on a major research product.

You're probably better off just listing a few bands with active fanbases and then looking at the fansite messageboards. They tend to have rather arcane discussions regarding who played what when and where.

• Members

I've looked at triton, radius, and motif modules but the sounds seem too "traditional".

Eh, those are a cover-all-bases sample library with a big hardware dongle/playback engine.

not to detract from the sarcasm that is ruling the thread, but did you notice the Radias was in there or was that an intentional oversight? :lol:

• Members

Does it have to be
artist's
gear? I know some places where they discuss wanker's' gear and hopelessly-untalented gear, but maybe those don't meet your criteria.

I didn't know it is possible for gear to be untalented ;)

I usually check out artists web pages and interviews in magazines and online if I am interested in the gear that they use. Also, I like to try to check them out live and see what they use in concert. The guitar world is stupidly filled with signature models (guitars, amps, effects pedals, accessories, etc.), the keys and synth world much less so. These days I think much gear gets used for studio recordings that is not used live.

I became disinterested in signature models a long time ago. Spotting gear at concerts is more like plane or car spotting - technical entertainment. Once the show starts it is all about the music for me.

• Members

Anyone have any experience with kurzweil boards? Just heard a demo on YouTube for the PC3-X and the string section sounds excellent. Best I've heard so far. Choirs are nice too. It's a pricy board though. Is there any other earlier/cheaper kurzweil models that carry the same engine as the PC3 that anyone knows of? Rackmount preferably.

Archived