I really love the Boss CS-2.

seifukusha

• Members

Noob question,
but how would you know if you needed a compressor?
Also, how would you compare it to the Dyna Comp, Supercomp, or Soul Preacher?

Does your playing sound un-even - with unintentional volume discrepancies between notes? i.e. some notes will jump out and others may be really quiet...

If that's the case, then a compressor would be beneficial in smoothing out your dynamics - ALTHOUGH, it would obviously be preferable to work on your playing and controlling your dynamics that way.

Do you find your guitar lacks sustain? A compressor could help there.

The other main reason for using a compressor would be to help with giving your playing a more 'fluid' flow for hammer-on, pull-offs, tapping etc. (especially if you play clean or with just a hint of overdrive).

Other reasons that people like to use compressors include the specific way a compressor shapes the note attack, or it may colour the overall tone in a pleasing way, or 'beef up' a thin sounding guitar etc... but... I'd say these things are secondary and vary from compressor to compressor; these are the sort of things you'll find when you try out some pedals, and go some way to explain why someone may have a preference for a CS-2, or a Dynacomp, or an Orange Squeezer etc over other compressors.

Personally, I don't use a compressor that often when playing guitar... dynamics are a huge part of my playing style so compression as an effect is usually unnecessary for me.

• Members

grossest pedal ever

One voice of reason ... I despise them.

Other reasons that people like to use compressors include the specific way a compressor shapes the note attack, or it may colour the overall tone in a pleasing way, or 'beef up' a thin sounding guitar etc... but... I'd say these things are secondary and vary from compressor to compressor; these are the sort of things you'll find when you try out some pedals, and go some way to explain why someone may have a preference for a CS-2, or a Dynacomp, or an Orange Squeezer etc over other compressors.

In the case of the CS-2 I consider these other factors primary and compression second. If you need, or want to try, a compressor, don't get a CS-2. If you want to experiment with the CS-2 sound, get a CS-2, just don't call it a compressor, it doesn't just compress and in some respects it sounds the opposite of something that just does. A proper compressor reduces attack and sustains the sound. A CS-2, like an envelope follower, tends to exaggerate the attack and dynamically change the tone.

• Members

How does it compare to the CS-3? I had one of those and it compressed decently but was so noisy I got rid of it.

monte allums mod is what you needed. really makes a great comp after you install it.

though the cs-2 seems pretty cool as well

• Members

In the case of the CS-2 I consider these other factors primary and compression second. If you need, or want to try, a
compressor,
don't get a CS-2. If you want to experiment with the CS-2 sound, get a CS-2, just don't call it a compressor, it doesn't just compress and in some respects it sounds the opposite of something that just does. A proper compressor reduces attack and sustains the sound. A CS-2, like an envelope follower, tends to exaggerate the attack and dynamically change the tone.

You can adjust the attack of the compression with the middle knob. If you turn it up, your attack is emphasized because the compression kicks in a bit more slowly.

I love the CS-2 because of the subtle warm coloration and balance of the squishiness. It isn't too hard sounding like a cs-3 (or even a dyna comp), but it's definitely "there", more so than an opto. I use it as a way to get above the mix, but keep my guitar sounding clean for melody lines.

• Members

In the case of the CS-2 I consider these other factors primary and compression second. If you need, or want to try, a
compressor,
don't get a CS-2. If you want to experiment with the CS-2 sound, get a CS-2, just don't call it a compressor, it doesn't just compress and in some respects it sounds the opposite of something that just does. A proper compressor reduces attack and sustains the sound. A CS-2, like an envelope follower, tends to exaggerate the attack and dynamically change the tone.

you haz a lot to learn glass hoppa

• Members

hey Kev, any new pedals? (its my thread, so I can derail it, no?)

:wave:

A few...

a couple more vintage Big Muffs,

a Snarling Dogs Fuzz Buzz,

another Wobulator,

a couple of parametric EQs (Guyatone PS-006 and Ibanez PQ9)...

I think that's it.

But, like I told you recently I'm still trying to downsize. :lol:

• Members

:wave:

A few...

a couple more vintage Big Muffs,

a Snarling Dogs Fuzz Buzz,

another Wobulator,

a couple of parametric EQs (Guyatone PS-006 and Ibanez PQ9)...

I think that's it.

But, like I told you recently I'm still trying to downsize.
:lol:

ha. me too. i had that guya ps para. i love my moollon para, pearl ge09, and i still have the lunchbox.ge10

Archived