Question for the PHAROAH Owners/users...

Johansolo

• Members

so my interest in the black arts toneworks Pharoah has peaked.

from what i understand, its based on a big muff circuit (even uses GGG big muff boards on the earlier versions?) but it is heralded as the "anti-muff" or "klon of the doom room?" whatever the hell those means.

most of the clips ive heard on youtube havent made me bat an eyelid (with the exception of the one done by jetcitymusic) and they are used on an amps clean base tone or stacking into/after other dirt pedals.

what im curious about is...do you guys mainly use it stacking/cascading (ie after/before) with another gain pedal (if so...what pedal?)

OR are you using the pharoah as a boost to your amps gain channel?

or both?

ive also heard that the pharoah suits bass more than guitars, but im primarly interested in it for guitar use.

all the clips of the lstr sound right up my muff alley thou, but im having trouble justifying another muff style pedal.

if the pharoah can be used as a boost to an amps gain channel to get it to muffdom...then this will be the deciding factor on clicking buy.

• Members

If you need a muff-type sound why don't you try LSTR?

sorry i should clarify...i have 2 diffrent amp setups

one where its run on a clean channel with pedals as the gain (which i have a few muffs/rats/distortions etc)

but i have another amp setup, which is amp gain all the time, which i use ods/boosters to boost the crunch into higher gain rhythm/lead tones. this is the setup i want to try the pharoah out with.

• Members

I was a bit silly when I bought this, because I bought it hoping it would sound like a big muff with more mids, even though it doesn't sound like a big muff in any of the demos.

I was running it into a clean amp and I was sorely disappointed - not because it was bad, just because it's not what I'd hoped it was. It's a great pedal but it doesn't sound or behave anything like a big muff. I also learned after I sold mine that people tend to prefer it boosting a dirty amp (and I think this is what Mark really designed it for), and I never actually tried doing that whilst I owned it. Again, that's just me being foolish. I should have experimented with it more before selling it.

When the LSTR got released, I realised that the LSTR is exactly what I wanted the Pharaoh to be. It's a proper muff with a mids control. I still haven't tried a LSTR but the demos sound right up my street. If I wasn't planning on building a muff soon, I'd be all over the LSTR.

I still have some seller's remorse for the Pharaoh though - I feel like I should have tried using it in different situations before selling it.

• Members

I can only speak for myself (and my cousin) . . .

. . . i use my Pharoah infront of of my 50W Bassman head (no FX loop) and that is it.

The Bassman has a light crunch (think of a JCM800 with the gain knob on "1.5"), and i run my Pharoah staright into that.

My cousin really like the tones he gets with the Pharoah and his 100W Spider Valve head.

PS : love the "Klon of the Doom Room" pharse.

• Members

sorry i should clarify...i have 2 diffrent amp setups

one where its run on a clean channel with pedals as the gain (which i have a few muffs/rats/distortions etc)

but i have another amp setup, which is
amp gain all the time, which i use ods/boosters to boost the crunch into higher gain rhythm/lead tones.
this is the setup i want to try the pharoah out with.

The Pharaoh will work in both setups but will excel in this area. You won't be disappointed at all. I promise.

• Members

I view it as the Timmy of the fuzz world
:lol:

ok...this appeals to me, as i like/use my timmy as a clean boost/eq after my drive pedals and before my amps gain.

if the pedal is the timmy of the fuzz world,does the above ^ but add fuzz to the sound(as opossed to the "sparkle/more" that the timmy" does ???

if yes, this may explain why i dont really like the clips...as i find my timmy used as a drive a tad on the "brittle" side.

hmmmm...

• Members

I run it in to my mostly clean V4 and love the sound I get. Sounds pretty sweet with a twin, too. I will agree that it sounds better in to my fully broken up V4, though. Also, like it was said earlier, while it is indeed based on a muff, it by no means behaves like a muff. It kind of takes awhile to get used to actually.

• Members

" pharse.

i also run my pharaoh into a bassman. its a very transparent fuzz. when i played it through a v4 i didnt like it. the v4 was far to clean sounding. it works with a clean amp, or with some grit from the amp. i dont stack mine. i enjoy it how it is super thick and crushing. but it also does the low gain fuzz amazingly as well. if you like the tone of your amps by themselves, this will allow that tone to shine through. but fuzzed out. order from a place with a return policy and give it a go.

Archived