Looking for some pedal help ....

nToHrv

• Members

Looking to put together a pedal board for myself. I'm playing a Fender Strat through a Egnater Tweaker 40 w/ 112 Tweaker cab. I will be using the amp for clean and some distortion. Most likely using the effects loop in the amp to run my pedals.

What i need are a few pedals and i'd love to get some input and recommendations. I need a good Delay, Reverb, Expression Pedal/Wah, Chorus, possibly a Tremolo and a Harmonizer. What are some great pedals i should consider buying ?

I would also like a good distortion pedal so i have a different type of distortion, so i'm running to my amp to change it's settings.

I'd like to keep it nice and compact. What do you guys recommend i use to daisy chain the pedals together so i don't have cables all over the place.

It's been a long while since i've played guitar in a band (as i've been the bass player up until now) ... but for reasons (guitar player got married and his wife doesn't want him to play anymore -- don't you guys just love that), i'm stepping up back to the guitar. I used to use a simple BOSS ME series multi-effects box, i wasn't really happy with it then, and most likely not now either, so i'd like to go in the direction above.

Really appreciate your time in reading this and helping me out. Thanks guys, and don't listen to your women !! lol

• Members

tc flashback is a good delay i recommend the ps-6 for your harmonizing needs. I highly recommend the demeter tremolo simple, versatile, but doesn't get too abrasive. If you're wanting to get a dirt pedal I would actually recommend not using the effects loop for it, and perhaps leaving your amp on the dirty side lower the gain and use something like booster or eq to force it into a natural overdrive

• Members

yea man, get the m9 with an expression pedal, strongly recommend it. though i would also recommend getting one dirt pedal in front of it. the dirt on the m9 is hit and miss and takes some tweaking to get a good tone, but its still doable and sounds fine. super convenient too if you just want to take it to a friends place to jam or something, just grab the m9, no hassel no crazy wire mess, no big board.

it does all the delay and reverb stuff really well, plus has a nice looper and a working tuner. the wah's on it sound pretty damn decent imo, and most of the modulation - tremolo, chorus, harmonizer...are good too.

that being said, nothing wrong with buying individual effects, jsut will be more expensive probably and take up more room.

• Members

yea man, get the m9 with an expression pedal, strongly recommend it. though i would also recommend getting one dirt pedal in front of it. the dirt on the m9 is hit and miss and takes some tweaking to get a good tone, but its still doable and sounds fine. super convenient too if you just want to take it to a friends place to jam or something, just grab the m9, no hassel no crazy wire mess, no big board.

it does all the delay and reverb stuff really well, plus has a nice looper and a working tuner. the wah's on it sound pretty damn decent imo, and most of the modulation - tremolo, chorus, harmonizer...are good too.

that being said, nothing wrong with buying individual effects, jsut will be more expensive probably and take up more room.

you should probably add individual effects maybe easier to access in terms of clicking on instead of going through scenes, and probably will sound better, but the m9 could be a good way to see exactly what you need/want before switching over to individual pedals if you go that route

• Members

I agree Frankenstrat, it may be easier just with a few simple pedals rather than with a M9 or M13. In all honesty all i need is a few pedals to get the job done. Delay, Reverb, Harmonizer, and a Distortion/Overdrive pedal (so i have a different distortion than from what i set on the amp).

I do really like your recommendation of the TC Electronic Flashback Delay ... looks very simple to use and sounds nice. Harmonizer i'm a little torn between the BOSS ps-6 and a Digitech i was looking at the other day. So i could still use a recommendation on a great reverb pedal and a distortion/overdrive pedal.

Thanks for all your input guys !!

• Members

I agree Frankenstrat, it may be easier just with a few simple pedals rather than with a M9 or M13. In all honesty all i need is a few pedals to get the job done. Delay, Reverb, Harmonizer, and a Distortion/Overdrive pedal (so i have a different distortion than from what i set on the amp).

I do really like your recommendation of the TC Electronic Flashback Delay ... looks very simple to use and sounds nice. Harmonizer i'm a little torn between the BOSS ps-6 and a Digitech i was looking at the other day. So i could still use a recommendation on a great reverb pedal and a distortion/overdrive pedal.

Thanks for all your input guys !!

no prob I have experience with egnater amps, and they take dirt pedals very well. I recommend something from xotic effects, which just really work well with giving you a nice drive but allowing the amp's tone to still be present even if the pedal introduces some of its own character.

TBH with you the ps-6 sounds pretty much alike to the digitech whammy's if not abit clearer. I've messed with the whammy II and IV over the years and at one point was rocking the eventide pitchfactor. The ps-6 reminds me of a very condensed & simplified pitchfactor.

As for verb I hear the boss rv-2 is the cat's meow

• Members

My suggestions: (which tend to be on the cheaper side)

Overdrive - Boss OD3 - LOVES strats IMHO

Distortion - Rat/Rat2 or Dano cool cat drive V1 or OCD which the Dano is a clone of...

Delay - If they're still going for a hundred bucks, I'd get an Akai Headrush E2 - amazing looper and cool delay with tap tempo and tape sim for cheap. I'd also suggest getting an analog delay though, for pure awesomeness of sound

Harmonizer - depends on your requirements. If you're after intelligent harmonies, PS6 seems cool, but the digitech harmonyman (which I own) has the ability to track incoming chords from another band member and adjust harmony responsively. It's a double pedal, but it has a tuner in it, so that saves you from having to buy a separate tuner.

Reverb - I like the Marshall Reflector, although people do report reliability issues - I've had none, and it sounds smooth.

There are loads of other options, but that's my suggestions. Alternatively, OD3 + OCD +M9 would be pretty cool.

I think you may also want to get some modulation. You can do detune and get pseudo-chorus sounds with the harmonizers, but maybe a tremolo (Dano Tuna Melt or Cool Cat trem are good and cheap)?

Steve

Archived