Heyy I got an Ebow...

OMTerria

• Members

...New of course, I feel like the 30 day return policy may come in handy with this one. I've been having some good fun messing around with it so far and have learned a couple licks with it (Untitled 6, Ebow the Letter, Limbs, Be Comfortable Creature) and am working on string skipping/arpeggios. The feeling of it vibrating the guitar is very cool to me for some reason. Any tips/tricks/cool ideas for it?

• Members

Volume pedal + Ebow + Bottleneck = good times
:thu:

Also, don't be afraid to use a clean tone and be gentle, you can get some great flute like sounds. Here's something I did a while back in that vein -

Thing

Ah yes, I hadn't thought to break out the ol' slide. I've mostly been using it clean, I find it sounds pretty cool with fuzz but it's really not anywhere near as dynamic (who would have thought a lot of compression would do that :lol:?).

The stuff in Thing sounds pretty nice, I'm guessing that's using the harmonic mode?

• Members

Ah yes, I hadn't thought to break out the ol' slide. I've mostly been using it clean, I find it sounds pretty cool with fuzz but it's really not anywhere near as dynamic (who would have thought a lot of compression would do that
:lol:
?).

The stuff in Thing sounds pretty nice, I'm guessing that's using the harmonic mode?

Yeah it's fun with dirt, but can sound a bit instantly 90s to me.

Can't remember if I used the harmonic mode or not - but I did have to be really careful and light, so that it didn't start distorting itself. Hold the ebow just away from the pickup, and pull towards it - when the tone kicks in make sure you don't go too close to that pickup, and you can get those nice smooth sounds.

• Members

You should play around with it more. The recipes these guys are giving you are good, but standard, there's more you can do with these things. I used to be in a band with a dude that was so good with an ebow, he could make it sound like *all kinds* of other instruments. Oboe, an entire full string section, etc. I personally never tried to get that good, but its completely do able.

Don't use that 30 day return policy, keep the ebow around for 10, 15 years. You'll always come back to it...

Archived