Sound Design - who are the geniuses?

nat whilk II

• Members

Cool to see Geir Jenssen getting some love, most people I know have never heard of Biosphere. Substrata would be one of my top ten albums evar, no question. Anyone heard the live album him and HIA did called Polar Sequences? They were commisioned to do a live show on top of a mountain in Norway, sampled the lift and mechanisms going up, the ice cracking, everything in the immediate environment, then put it together once they were up there. The resulting album is better than most peoples studio efforts.

yes yes yes. yes. amazing piece of work. here's a nice little video to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim_afakpEc

• Members

Sound designers make presets, and because presets ar evil there can't be geniuses ;)

I too could name a few, mostly from the past however. The current geniuses are hidden in a nameless crowd of badly, if at all, payed homeworkers who try to suppurt the badly, if at all, payed synth designers with their enthusiasm during development of generally overpriced products ;)

• Members

boris blank seconded, guy is a natural at finding a sound to fit a specific vibe and exploiting it perfectly.

peter berkos - did sound work for battlestar galactica like all the things people have pop to mind when they think of battlestar galactica and sound is involved in that memory.

interview here

http://www.galactica.tv/battlestar-galactica-1978---interviews/peter-berkos-galactica.tv-interview.html

• Members

yet another vote for cEvin Key... he is also one of the sharpest, most-knowledgeable synthesists I've ever personally spoken to. Dude is quick.

I am surprised nobody here has mentioned Simon Posford. If you don't know this name and you are into synthesis, sound design and production, go look up his entire discography. He's the fellow behind the musical projects Hallucinogen, Younger Brother, Celtic Cross, Shpongle, and probably a few others I'm forgetting... really nice programming work.

I'm gradually building my own sound design skills... I don't expect to be anyone's favorite, but I think I am starting to do genuinely good work.

• Members

and old school patch-writers from back in the day when creating and selling/sharing patches was the big deal....people like the K2000 wizards Cowzar and Daniel Fischer...

Thanks for the vote nat whilk. :lol:

My inspiration in sound design came from KORG's voicing team way back in when they were called the MPB's. "MIDI Patch Boys".

• Members

Lightsaber.ashx

About two weeks ago I went to a special screening of the Pixar film Wall-E, which was followed by a talk by Ben Burtt himself. He also brought up the folley person and sound mixer from the film. It was awesome and one of the best things I've been to in a long time! They brought with them a truckload (literally) of gear, props, etc. to demonstrate how they create some of their sounds, including the sound of a light sabre from Star Wars. It's surprising how low-tech some of these things are, and kind of ironic when used in state of the art films with multi million dollar budgets.

I got to meet him afterwards to chat for a moment, and I gave him one of my cd's of ambient electronic music. Now I'm sitting by the phone waiting for a call from Pixar to license some of my music for their next film.:)

• Members

dude, that is too cool for me to express just how rad and cool that is. Ben Burtt is the God of modern sound design. Yeah he uses the most obscure simple yet complex methods, just endlessly creative. I also dig how he made the Wilhelm scream an institution, always gives me a little high when someone uses it in a film. :p

Good luck with Pixar man! Love their films, they keep putting out top quality product, except that cars one looked a bit lame.

• Members

dude, that is too cool for me to express just how rad and cool that is. Ben Burtt is the God of modern sound design. Yeah he uses the most obscure simple yet complex methods, just endlessly creative.

People would be surprised at how some of those sounds are made. The sound of the little Wall-E robot moving was made by recording a broken tricycle the folley person bought at a flea market for $20. The "futuristic" sound of a light saber is made by a huge metal spring type thing that is hung in the middle of a 10 foot aluminum A frame ladder, being hit with a wooden stick. They also demonstrated a sound they used from a very heavy World War 1 hand-cranked flywheel that he bought on ebay. He also had a midi keyboard connected to a laptop and each key triggered a different sample that was used in the movie - it was incredibly cool. Ben Burtt was a a really nice, humorous, down to earth guy for someone who has had such an illustrious career as working on all the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Pixar, etc. films.

Archived