Witness magic of improv

AstralWurks

• Members

I went in expecting awesomeness and left after seeing Pentatonic Scale Noodling 101.

Not bad, but it won't ever make a top 100 guitar solo list, like this has.

A big +1 re: Ed Van Halen.

I remember the first time I heard their first album back around 1978. I thought the vinyl was going to pop off of my turntable. If you listen to their recordings, especially the first few albums, you hear not only great technique, but playing from a guy who really seems to have been melded to his guitar. And the sound - it often seems to be barely under control, as if it's some kind of wild animal that EVH has somehow managed to contain for just long enough to squeeze some music out of it.

I was never a huge fan of either Roth or Hagar, but the rest of the band always seemed to exist just so Ed could play the guitar anyway.

There have been many imitators since, but when he first came out with this stuff it was just so damn cool. Still is, IMHO. I never miss a tour.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone care to list some jazz greats (it's not just rock) who were stuffed full of drugs for most of their career? There are many.

I'd go so far as to say that most of the world's best music was made whilst on drugs.

Lots of great art, too.

I don't drink or use drugs at this point in my life, but I'm not kidding myself; self-destructive behaviour and outstanding genius often go hand in hand. It's the burning the candle at both ends thing.

• Members

I'd go so far as to say that
most of the world's best music was made whilst on drugs

I'd humbly suggest that there are many people who would have differing views as to what "the world's best music" is, and that the overwhelming majority of music selected by those people would include very little music that was made "whilst on drugs."

• Members

I'd go so far as to say that
most of the world's best music was made whilst on drugs

Lots of great art, too.

I don't drink or use drugs at this point in my life, but I'm not kidding myself; self-destructive behaviour and outstanding genius often go hand in hand. It's the burning the candle at both ends thing.

+1, I was gonna say all this a page or so ago but decided to leave it. There is a huge correlation between genius and pain/self destruction.

• Members

Sounds like the keys player is playing some clangers in the chords....

I'm all for dissonance - but some of that harmony just sounds plain WRONG.

LOL.

They're all about tension and release jamming. They'll take it to the point where everyone is just slamming all of their notes at one time and getting {censored} sounding as chaotic as possible only to all come back in at the same time to the original theme. I always kind of laugh at theory taught musicians who feel that EVERY note absolutely HAS to be intentional or have a purpose.

This is probably their best compositon and was performed live on Sessions at West 54th with David Byrne hosting. He was interested in Phish after hearing that they covered his entire "Remain in Light" album for Halloween 96.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADIEKAbt9ck

For Halloween shows, the band would don a "musical costume" and perform 3 sets, the 2nd of which was another band's entire album.

94-"White Album"

95-"Quadrophenia"

96-"Remain in Light"

97-Velvet Underground's "Loaded"

• Members

I maintain, for true magik of improv, check out MMW and John Scofield together (or Joshua Redmon and Elastic live, according to STG). The most ungodly inter-play between Truly {censored}ing Awesome musicians. It's (IMO) more interesting than 4 or 5 (more talented but underling) players kneeling down to suck an over-rated guitar player's (redundant expression?) dick. And you don't have to do acid etc. to "get" it (but cheap vodka helps).

(yeehaw I've got a buzzz- appropriate apologies scheduled for 12/21/08 10:00 CST)

(sorry)

• Members

I maintain, for true magik of improv, check out MMW and John Scofield together (or Joshua Redmon and Elastic live, according to STG). The most ungodly inter-play between Truly {censored}ing Awesome musicians. It's (IMO) more interesting than 4 or 5 (more talented but underling) players kneeling down to suck an over-rated guitar player's (redundant expression?) dick. And you don't have to do acid etc. to "get" it.

(yeehaw I've got a buzzz- appropriate apologies scheduled for 12/21/08 10:00 CST)

+1

• Members

I maintain, for true magik of improv, check out MMW and John Scofield together

MMWS was one of the best shows I attended at North Sea Jazz Festival 2007. And it didn't hurt to be standing next to cute, drunk/high Dutch girls loudly proclaiming their love for John (Medeski or Scofield, I'm not sure).

• Members

Did you get some action? Those dutchies like to party

Nah, I was on vacation with family and it was my last night before flying back to the States. Next time maybe... they do go for what they want - none of this high school games that Americans like to play.

Archived