Witness magic of improv

AstralWurks

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL QUE?

It almost doesn't even matter what you play, a hollowbody with humbuckers is going to sound better than a strat every day.

That's complete nonsense.

Eric Johnson (and most Hendrix songs) will sound better than 99% of the Hollowbody players out there*. First of all, all hollowbodies sound like crap with distortion. Slight overdrive is OK, heavy overdrive and distortion is bad. They're not designed for that. It's the same principle (even though as a lesser extent) as getting an acoustic guitar and putting it through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier's distortion. Muddy crap is what it is. Hollowbodies are about half the mud compared to an acoustic, but it's still pretty muddy crap. That's all I hear when I listen to Phish. Muddy crappy guitar tone.

HOW DARE YOU compare that guy to Hendrix.

sam.jpg

*Edit: Before I get taken out of context, I'm talking about people who play hollowbodies with distortion. I'm not talking about Pat Metheny or George Benson here. Those guys have flawless tone.

• Members

right...when someone cant elaborate or back up a blind statement all I can do is this...
:rolleyes:

but then again that seems to be common with you
:)

Ok you guys got me in a guitar flamewar. Reluctantly I had to answer. See my previous post.

Hendrix will be known for centuries. Most people don't even know who Trey is now, let alone in 100 years :rolleyes:

And I don't have the problem of not elaborating enough in this forum, that's for sure. That was a cheap shot from you that is completely untrue. I'd probably agree that I post too much and state my opinion when not asked. I'm trying to work on that. But you just pulled your comment out of you know where.

The thing is, Hendrix isn't even my favorite player. But denying his influence and importance just reveals the kind of fanboys you guys are.

• Members

First of all, Trey vs. Hendrix is just ridiculous. Hendrix had more talent in one tooth than Trey will have in his entire life.

Second, why not take it to the guitar forum?

You don't have to like Phish, but that's just ludicrous. Trey is not the best guitarist of all time, but he sure as hell is in the top percentile. Not only that, but Trey's compositions are vastly more complex than Hendrix's even if Hendrix's songs were better. It's safe to say Trey's knowledge of music theory is miles above Hendrix. Hendrix is the innovator on the electric guitar, no doubt. That doesn't mean that no one can ever be better. Personally, even though he got more than a TON of influence from Hendrix, I think SRV did the Hendrix gig better than Jimi did.

I think Santana and B.B. King know a little more about guitar than any of us and both have shared the stage with Trey and said that he's one of the best guitarists they've ever played with.

• Members

Ok you guys got me in a guitar flamewar. Reluctantly I had to answer. See my previous post.

Hendrix will be known for centuries. Most people don't even know who Trey is now, let alone in 100 years

Of course people will always know Hendrix because he basically invented the modern electric guitar style.

I GUARANTEE you though that more people on the street would know the name Phish or Trey Anastasio than someone like Pat Metheny and Pat is Trey's idol and a better guitarist than Trey. That argument holds no water whatsoever.

In 100 years, people will know who Britney Spears was. Does that mean she's more talented than someone that people don't remember??

• Members

What the {censored}?!? GET THEE HENCE

you know, that it is a common misconception that people ever said "thee" there was a mistake in the translation, I think it used to be t-h-(and then some letter that was two letters that were pronounced together)

I forget what the letters were now, but the point is: what was I talking aboot??

• Members

Here's a good example of Trey's guitar tone. How can you say this is horrible tone??

This song is from their best album IMO "A Picture of Nectar".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afOrPl_Fm54

It gets good at 2:20. ;)

Also, Trey's solo at 3:00 is gorgeous.

This is a great song for people trying to get to know Phish.

• Members

Anyone who can listen to Trey's tone through the whole segment starting at 1:20 and still tell me it's horrible must have muck in their ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9-xDMz6nG0

Listen to the wonders that two tube screamers and the vintage Grey Ross Compressor do starting at 2:15. You can hear the sustain and tone get warmer all of a sudden. I love it.

• Members

Trey is not the best guitarist of all time, but he sure as hell is in the top percentile. Not only that, but Trey's compositions are vastly more complex than Hendrix's even if Hendrix's songs were better. It's safe to say Trey's knowledge of music theory is miles above Hendrix. Hendrix is the innovator on the electric guitar, no doubt.

this is ALL true.

That doesn't mean that no one can ever be better.

again true.....and there have been better....see below comment

SRV did the Hendrix gig better than Jimi did.

and again true...SRV had better tone, was a better player and played jimi better than jimi although I will admit Jimi had a huge influence on future guitar players.

• Members
The thing is, Hendrix isn't even my favorite player. But denying his influence and importance just reveals the kind of fanboys you guys are.

I for one never denied his influence...he was a huge influence as were the Beatles and will forever be remembered...I just commented on the "he is the greatest guitarist of all time"...sorry he wasnt...he was not overly technical and most of his influence was from showmanship, tone/sound, innovative recording technique and doing things with a guitar noone had seen live ...light on fire, play with teeth etc....he was an ok singer, an ok songwriter and a personality on stage who knew how to make an audience react....so comparing him to someone like trey is sorta not really a fair comparison...but as a player I dont think there is much doubt from listening that Trey is much overall better player....and if Jimi were here he would probably agree.

Oh...and I am not a fan of Phish or Hendrix...just of good guitar playing. :)

Archived