training your left hand (if you're a right handed player)

skuller

• Members

i have a lot of warm up routines, including running through "the virtuoso pianist".

i still find myself having trouble doing as "intricate" stuff with my left hand as i can with my right.

anyone else here right hand dominant, that has a method of getting your left hand "up to speed" per se?

• Members

Having moved over to synths from guitar and bass, my left hand was keyboard ready. In fact, I sometime play rhythmic parts above middle C with my left hand because I have better control with it. So, pick up a guitar and start working fingering exercises. It will improve your left hand.

• Members

If you can do all 60 of the Hannons, I doubt if your left hand is as weak as you think it is.

+1. Those Hanon's are a workout, and boring as hell, but even getting down pat about 15-20 of them...shocking how much it'll improve the confidence you have in your fingering. It's like bench pressing for your ring and pinky fingers, especially on that left hand.

• Members

Hanon is a wonderful resource, but for your situation, you need to go beyond Hanon to one of the advanced technic books. I call them "Hanon on Steroids".

The two to check out are Pischna, and Joseffy. They are relatively obscure, but can be ordered.

They both approach the hand in the same manner, which is to hold part of what essentially is a triad with one or two fingers, and then, with a quiet hand, (hard to do) work the remaining fingers on other notes.

Both books work each hand equally.

I use Hanon as a basic technique exercise for my students, and a warm-up for advanced students who then shift over to Pischna or Joseffy.

• Members

Hanon is a wonderful resource, but for your situation, you need to go beyond Hanon to one of the advanced technic books. I call them "Hanon on Steroids".

The two to check out are Pischna, and Joseffy. They are relatively obscure, but can be ordered.

They both approach the hand in the same manner, which is to hold part of what essentially is a triad with one or two fingers, and then, with a quiet hand, (hard to do) work the remaining fingers on other notes.

Both books work each hand equally.

I use Hanon as a basic technique exercise for my students, and a warm-up for advanced students who then shift over to Pischna or Joseffy.

At what level does a student start using the first book? I have only been taking lessons since Sept 1. Bach inventions are way beyond me. I am working with my piano teacher on the easiest Musette in the Magdalena Notebook now as my "outside the basic method book" piece.

• Members

At what level does a student start using the first book? I have only been taking lessons since Sept 1. Bach inventions are way beyond me. I am working with my piano teacher on the easiest Musette in the Magdalena Notebook now as my "outside the basic method book" piece.

Thats a hard question to answer from afar. I would suggest becoming comfortable with Hanon, and introducing Pischna (the "easier" of the two I mentioned, but not by much) slowly and carefully. Actually, Pischna has preliminary exercises before each exercise to prepare you for the exercises!

So you could likely start with the beginning of Pischna now.

Archived