Noob Question: snyth, organ, and piano play styles

35miles

• Members

I'm trying to understand the difference in play styles of snyth, organ, and piano as they relate to a noob such as myself, just starting to learn keys. How do the play styles differ from a technical perspective?

I like a variety of genres, but am really into dance, r&b, hip hop, etc. I own a 61 key snyth that I just started learning on. I have the adult beginner book by Alfred, and am also looking at the Andre Furmanczyk lessons on youtube. Both of those methods are geared at piano. I'm enjoying these methods and feel its a good start, but am wondering if they are the correct methods for the styles that I'd ultimately like to be playing? Keeping in mind that I want a well rounded understanding of playing keys and definitely want to learm more about music and its theory. Yes, I will be searching for an instructor next month. Mainly trying to understand what I should be looking for from my instruction, be it self or a teacher.

• Members

Ultimately, I'd like to express beats I have in my head to music through the keys. At this point, my goal is mainly to entertain myself. And I certainly have been able to do that. I'm finding ways to make simple scales and chords into interesting riffs, keeping me busy for hours.

I'm really a total noob, just at the point of learning notes on the clefs. I figured out that that since the chords C, D, and E are also notes in the C scale, I could take the root, 3rd, and 5th of C, play them up and down then ascend to the root, 3rd, and 5th of D, then E. Totally simple, but amazing break through for me! Wow... I'm getting addicted, fast.

I could have phrased my question better. Let me start over. How does the style of certain music lend itself to piano action keys, versus other styles of music lend it self to snyth style keys? Messing around in the music store, I can see how much slower weighted piano keys feel (to me anyway). Is it just personal preference, or is there certain music that just plays better on 88 keys, or synth keys. Yeah, I know nothing. lol.

• Members

I could have phrased my question better. Let me start over. How does the style of certain music lend itself to piano action keys, versus other styles of music lend it self to snyth style keys?

It doesn't.

It's just that with an actual piano, the playing mechanics are tied directly to the instrument itself. Those keys have to move hammers which hit strings, and there's simple physics involved that define the elegant and functional way to make this work. Also, keep in mind that when the piano was developed, plastic like we know it wasn't invented - so you take the material that you know and can work with and continue using it as long as it does the job.

With electronic instruments, it's closing a contact and recording the velocity of the key. There's no need to move anything physical around, so the weight of the keys is not an issue. Actually, several synthesizers have wooden piano-style keys. Portability and cost factors result in light-weight plastic keys.

or is there certain music that just plays better on 88 keys, or synth keys. Yeah, I know nothing. lol.

The physics involved in weighted keys differ from synth-keys. That means you should be able to play faster (or with less effort) on synth-keys, but it also means you can't just hit a key with enough force and move your finger to the next while the momentum of the key will finish the job of moving the hammer for you.

Archived