Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet

Operator

• Members

Years ago I got an e-mail from Shadowy drummer Don Pyle after I mentioned someplace online guitarist Brian Connelly playing Gretsches into Fender amps. He stated that in the studio Connelly played a Telecastrer and a Jazzmaster to get more high end. I never saw him using a Jazzmaster live, but I did see a red one onstage on one tour. Bobby Wiseman was opening, and he actually played a song or two with it. Live I remember him using a Super Reverb, which is what it looks like in some of those pictures.

I can still remember a gig at Amigo's here in Saskatoon where Connelly grabbed a guy by the shirt and tossed him offstage with one hand while hanging onto his Gretsch with the other. This may have been the same gig where some idiot decided to dance on a table, promptly tipping it over and sending ice and booze all over the place.

Reid Diamond always looked like he was wrestling the Thunderbird he played. He was just a short little guy, maybe five six at the most.

Another Shadowy gig was memorable for me because coming home my car got hit head on at two in the morning half a block from my house by some high school kid who'd had his license for a month. Wrecked the front end of the car but it ended up being fixable, and we drove it for several years afterward.

A book version of Don Pyle's Trouble at the Camera Club photo exhibit has been released. Neat book to look through if you can find it

• Members

Years ago I got an e-mail from Shadowy drummer Don Pyle after I mentioned someplace online guitarist Brian Connelly playing Gretsches into Fender amps. He stated that in the studio Connelly played a Telecastrer and a Jazzmaster to get more high end. I never saw him using a Jazzmaster live, but I did see a red one onstage on one tour. Bobby Wiseman was opening, and he actually played a song or two with it. Live I remember him using a Super Reverb, which is what it looks like in some of those pictures.

I can still remember a gig at Amigo's here in Saskatoon where Connelly grabbed a guy by the shirt and tossed him offstage with one hand while hanging onto his Gretsch with the other. This may have been the same gig where some idiot decided to dance on a table, promptly tipping it over and sending ice and booze all over the place.

Reid Diamond always looked like he was wrestling the Thunderbird he played. He was just a short little guy, maybe five six at the most.

Another Shadowy gig was memorable for me because coming home my car got hit head on at two in the morning half a block from my house by some high school kid who'd had his license for a month. Wrecked the front end of the car but it ended up being fixable, and we drove it for several years afterward.

A book version of Don Pyle's Trouble at the Camera Club photo exhibit has been released. Neat book to look through if you can find it

This is wonderful info. Thank you!

• Members

I love the Shadowy Men!!!! Such an amazing band. One of those bands where if someone mentions them, theyre instantly cool to me.

Yeah in the show it always shows him with a Gretsch. I really dig their bass tones too, especially on Sport Fishin, and even more especially on "Honey You're Wasting Ammo."

Hey, there is a youtube uploader who puts their songs with random ass stock footage from the 50s/60s and it's great. Check it out:

[video=youtube;_wMC-ynl6bE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wMC-ynl6bE&feature=related

[video=youtube;L9lAmQQ3vSE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9lAmQQ3vSE

Archived