OT: A new twist on Craigslist scams.

Crxsh

• Members

Have received two interesting replies to a Craigslist ad I've got up. In both instances, the emailer used a believable enough email address to elicit a response (as opposed to the usual smattering of characters it seems scammers always use), but wound up going the typical "will send official bank check with courier to pick up the item" route by the second reply... only with something unexpected.

First guy ("Jack") claimed to be speech disabled.

Second woman ("Rachel") claimed to be handicapped and unable to walk.

WTF? Some sort of appeal to emotion? That's messed up.

Anyone else experienced this? And if not... any fun new Craigslist scores/stories to share?

• Members

I just posted a bunch of stuff to CL for work. No scam emails, but 75% of the responders never followed up after I told them when the gear was available to look at. CL is full of flakes and freaks, but it's free and so much less of a headache than eBay.

• Members

Heres one (out of 5 similar emails) I got recently trying to sell a few cheap practice amps on CL :

"Sir, someone naughty would love to hang out and sent you a confidential note below:

"What's up is your thing still on for sale? I got money all set. And umm, I came across your post and thought I would give this a try. Im down to hang out tomorrow after work around 3:30pm ish so let's have dinner. My phone # is 960-23XX (last 2 digits are masked) so text me. Can you send me your pictures to my cell so I know you are real and I will reply back with mine too. I even put a video for you on my profile, am I your type? I swear Im not a weirdo just want to become friends and maybe more!"

http:/go......ed .net

You MUST join for FREE on our adult facebook to get hold of our member's full phone number and video. Once you do so, you'll be promptly taken to our member's user profile. This is a way of safeguarding our member from harm. Appreciate it and happy ending!"

:facepalm:

• Members

i get the blind/handicapped ones all the time. funny and sad at the same time.

and no info except where 2 meet. no couriers unless they posess USA coin.

i love c/l.

i DO make sure to tell EVERYONE that my price is firm. period. (

so if ur gonna get here and lowball me, then ur gonna waste ur time and mine

...but ill only be 5 mins from home :D

• Members

Weirdest Craiglist sale I had was a dude phone from a Forensic Psych Ward (criminally insane) and he wanted me to sell him a guitar and his sister would send me money via Western Union. I initially said no but I thought about it and figured if she was wiring cash, why not?? He ended up having her send an extra 50$ for cab fare and I was to stick the guitar in a taxi and have it sent to the "hospital", or I could pocket the 50 and drive it out myself and deliver it in person. I ended up choosing the later; however, I only delivered it to the front desk rather than going up on the ward and delivering it. Everybody happy even though it was bizarre.

• Members

i sold an amp to a paraplegic once. kid had just got in a car accident like 6 months prior. it was pretty awkward when i demo'd the amp for him in my doorway while he sat in his wheelchair in the sidewalk because he didn't want to/couldn't handle the 6" step into my house.

• Members

CL is full of flakes and freaks, but it's free and so much less of a headache than eBay.

It's also full of people willing to sell a damaged guitar that was advertised as "in good condition", as I recently found out.

So I guess you could look at CL as Negative Therapy for GAS.

Or a test of your good sense. (use it and prove you don't have any)

• Members

the speech disabled thing is so that they can use IP relay or TTY systems to hide their identity. its all 419 scammers from nigeria and ghana. i used to work at one of those call centers. the best way to avoid scams on craigslist is to only do in-person cash business. i've done a few out of town deals but there was alot of phone communication and personal info exchanged.

Archived