Epi Dot Deluxe - Any love out there? Possible NGD

• Members

So I don't think that Dot Deluxe is still available. I did however find a black gloss Dot Studio made in 2004 or earlier. I've never seen this finish on a Dot Studio. This isn't one of the faded Dots you see so much of these days.

A not so great picture....

N_DotStudioRev1.jpg

Anyone play one of these Dots? Would you hit it?

***please note, I am looking for a budget semi-hollow body for funsies. This will not be my main guitar, just something different than my Tele. Also...cash to burn from selling some stuff. If I don't like the thing I may just hang it and buy and Exelsior.***

• Members

My experience of Epiphone semi-hollows thus far has taught me this:

Pros: They are brilliant

Cons: You'll have trouble explaining to epiphone haters that they're brilliant.

This coming from a guy that owns a Gibson Les Paul classic plus, and a Rickenbacker 360...I desperately need to get some Epiphone semi-hollow in my life. I used to have a sheraton a little while back but had to sell it at the time because I needed funds. I miss it dearly.

The Dots I've tried haven't disappointed at all, but I've not owned one so can't give an experienced viewpoint on those specifically,

• Members

My experience of Epiphone semi-hollows thus far has taught me this:

Pros: They are brilliant

Cons: You'll have trouble explaining to epiphone haters that they're brilliant.

This coming from a guy that owns a Gibson Les Paul classic plus, and a Rickenbacker 360...I desperately need to get some Epiphone semi-hollow in my life. I used to have a sheraton a little while back but had to sell it at the time because I needed funds. I miss it dearly.

The Dots I've tried haven't disappointed at all, but I've not owned one so can't give an experienced viewpoint on those specifically,

Thanks man. That is encouraging. I tried a couple Dot Studios at GC today and they felt really good. I will hopefully check out the Univox too.

• Members

Poet, if you're shopping the used market for a Dot, I stand by my earlier statement, to hold out for a MIK Dot. ESPECIALLY if you don't get to play it before you buy it, i.e. eBay. The Korean Dots not only have a better fit and finish (and neck), but also fewer issues with the electronics. If you're buying a new one, like from GC or MF, it's not as much of an issue because it has a warranty. A used guitar doesn't.

Additionally, the Samick plant in Korea, where the Dots were made, has a long history of producing high quality instruments. Not just guitars, but also pianos and violins. The Chinese can beat everyone on price, but have a long way to go to match the quality that the rest of the world produces.

Archived