SRS question about fx that no one likes: phaser (builders, your opinions?)

Ryan.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So basically you want a half-cycle phaser, with the ability to invert the polarity via a second footswitch.

But also he wants the cycle re-cycled by 'the next chord' he hits.

SOOOO, the LFO ramp would be triggered by a comparator that creates a DC level (threshhold) based on the notes being played, then lets that threashhold slowly decay, and compares it to the peak value of what's being played RIGHT NOW. You'd need a threshhold/sensitivty control so the user could set the amount of kerrang that triggers the LFO reset....cuz, the factory preset for kerrang may not be the same as Subs'.

oh yes: compressors may be the enemy of this pedal...just saying.

• Members

....one more thing....you may actually also want the following control:

a) Your note amplitude determines how far up the ramp that the ramp starts...ie mild kerrang gets you halfway out the woooooooosh.
A bigger kerrang gets you further up the ramp.

b) You might want that threshhold control on an expression pedal, cuz that threshhold may vary throughout a dynamic passage.

c) I'm still thinking on whether it makes sense to compand the signal path, pre-threshhold-sense....so both anemic lipstick pickups and BRINGTEHRAWK EMG-type pickups would both play well...still thinking...

• Members
Whoooooooooooooooooosh...

That is the sound of your knowledge flying over my head lefort.

By the way I think I'm gonna make a batch of sauce for you today.
:D

I haz not forgot.
JUST sent out a return-package to Bax...I think I have 3 more lined up for sending Monday.
Can't remember if I have your addy....heavyass USPS priority package will be inthemail.

• Members

I haz not forgot.

JUST sent out a return-package to Bax...I think I have 3 more lined up for sending Monday.

Can't remember if I have your addy....heavyass USPS priority package will be inthemail.

You can get mine off the box you get. I don't want you to send until I work up the nerve... its entirely possible that I just fall asleep instead.

• Members

This is a really complicated idea for a damned phaser.

just two additional comparator gates/one 8pin chip....that, and a ramp for an LFO.

,,,,and did I mention the 20-stage, hand-selected, JFET phase-ladder?

j/k ... it'll be 24 stages

• Members

If you want it to only go in one direction instead of a cycle, why do you need to control it with a LFO? Why not just the phase circuit, but instead of an LFO control, use a pedal (like a wah). Toe down, it goes whoosh. Toe up it goes bleww.....

Maybe insert a switch to select between pedal control (manual w/no cycle) and LFO control (normal phaser operation).

Could maybe even do this with an off-the-shelf phaser, add an expression jack and switch, and use an expression pedal with it...

Or, take an old crybaby, rip the guts out and use the enclosure to house your new PCB....

Just sayin'....

• 3 months later...

Archived