Kurzweil PC3LE

• Members

The lack of USB connectivity and storage is a major failing of the PC3 line. If the LE can store programs/Setups to USB and act as a USB controller, and if it has the same high quality 88 note keybed as the PC3X, having half the polyphony won't matter for many applications. As long as this thing has the same ability to create chains of complex Setups and most of the PC3's soundset and synthesis power it should be very popular.

I just hope it doesn't take Kurzweil two years to actually bring it to market (I've been burned many times waiting for Kurzweil gear that is going to be released "next quarter".)

• Members

Hi!

The lack of USB connectivity and storage is a major failing of the PC3 line.

The PC3 does have an USB B connector and a xD card slot... I think that allows enough ways of storing your programs, setups, etc, to external devices... It is true that the PC3LE will have a USB A connector, so you can plug a thumb drive, which is great, but that does not mean that the PC3 does not have USB connectivity or storage...

Regards,

Fran

• Members

I'm waiting for K-series successor ... but these steps are encouraging ...

I'm glad they gave the LE an "unique" performance controller ... Every modern synth, imo, should have some useful controller beyond the typical pitch bender/modulation and knobs ...

• Members

I found the last paragraph on that web page to be more interesting to read than the annoucement made in the article.

Kurzweil Music Systems was founded in 1982 by Ray Kurzweil, who was inspired by Stevie Wonder after having collaborated on a reading machine for the blind. In 1983 the Kurzweil K250 was considered the first successful attempt to realistically emulate the sound of a grand piano. Since then, Kurzweil has been renowned for being a major innovator in the music tech industry and continues today stronger than ever under the proven leadership of Hyundai Development Co.

• Members

The lack of USB connectivity and storage is a major failing of the PC3 line. If the LE can store programs/Setups to USB and act as a USB controller, and if it has the same high quality 88 note keybed as the PC3X, having half the polyphony won't matter for many applications. As long as this thing has the same ability to create chains of complex Setups and most of the PC3's soundset and synthesis power it should be very popular.

I just hope it doesn't take Kurzweil two years to actually bring it to market (I've been burned many times waiting for Kurzweil gear that is going to be released "next quarter".)

The PC3 can be a USB midi controller...

• Members

It most definitely does have VA-1. And KB3.

The main difference under the hood between the PC3 and PC3LE is that the LE has a single Mara chip, while the PC3 has two. Each Mara supports 64 voices and a boatload of DSP, so the PC3LE has 64 voices. There's still a lot more DSP in one Mara than in the KDFX processor of the K2600, so the PC3LE is no slouch there, and that's what provides the VA-1 functionality.

Yes, "LE" has some not-so-great connotations. But this will be a great little beast anyway.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I'm waiting for a new Kurz with the modern PC series engine and a sampler...I hope it will be out within this year (:facepalm:), 'cause i'm going to include another workstation to my tiny home studio, toward Xmas time... :(

• Members

Anyone know when this is being released. Is summer wishful thinking with Kurzweil's track record? They could miss the boat if Yamaha's rumoured S76xs arrives fairly soon.

Secondly, is NAVY the confirmed colour. I would much prefer black personally.

• Members

Not crazy about the looks. Is it possible to look cheap AND solid at the same time? It looks like a piece of lab equipment. I can appreciate the utilitarian aspect, but geez!

Maybe it's bigger in person, but what's up with the TINY screen in 2009?

• Members

+1

'LE' = '{censored}e'

Not entirely: I have a Korg Triton Le, which has a really "{censored}e" keyboard - but the sounds are great - I don't need to dig deep into its architecture & program new sounds, etc... I'm happy to use the ones it has & adjust slightly to my needs.

Seriously - Korg Triton Le has an awful, crappy keybed but wonderful sounds. Or at least, I think so - maybe I'm just not that picky. :thu: ...either way, the Kurz. PC3LE might just be the ticket for some buyers looking for the Kurzweil sounds w/out lots o' bells and whistles. ;)

Archived