It is so cold that...

MarkShovel2

• Members

I moved from Chicago, as soon as possible, at 22 yrs of age.

#1 reason was miserable winters.

I moved from Ohio to Los Angeles when I was 18. Spent six years there. Moved back to Ohio for a while, but then moved to San Francisco in 1987. Back to the Midwest in 1991, and been here ever since. But honestly, I have little desire to move back to California at this point.

• Members

I moved from Ohio to Los Angeles when I was 18. Spent six years there. Moved back to Ohio for a while, but then moved to San Francisco in 1987. Back to the Midwest in 1991, and been here ever since. But honestly, I have little desire to move back to California at this point.

its good you have perspective and have moved around.

I have been in the SF Bay Area since 1977, just after graduating from college.

after some time, I was able to get financially situated which makes the high cost of living bearable

• Members

Geez Chicago winters are MILD for the most part. The low temps now are a freak occurrence for Chicago. You get more sensitive as you get older, though; every year I am definitely feeling it more in my ankles, knees. wrists, and shoulders.

I was out clearing my driveway Monday AM when it was -15F and -30F Windchill. It was -19F this AM and will probably be colder tomorrow. Twin Cities usually get a couple of 1-2 week periods during the winter where the temp never goes above zero. The last few winters were really, really mild, though. My thermostat is set at 66F and I am sitting here in a T-shirt right now.

Our winters are slightly rough, but they get worse in N Dakota and Canada.

Coastal towns in Alaska have their temps mitigated by the ocean. It is a big-ass heat sink. I grew up in a town on Lake Ontario near Rochester, NY and the lake has a similar effect there. Much milder temps on average - but lots more snow, rain, and cloudy days.

• Members

Gananoque is on the St. Lawrence River just east of Lake Ontario; it doesn't get much further south in Canada. So I can't actually complain about the cold when 99% of my country is colder.

But I do think it's time to fix the thermostat on my car--no heat, no defrost.

• Members

I have been in the SF Bay Area since 1977, just after graduating from college.

after some time, I was able to get financially situated which makes the high cost of living bearable

That's awesome.

We moved to Berkeley in 1987, and really liked it there. We had a great deal on rent, living in a two-bedroom newly-remodeled apartment that was actually the upstairs of a large home in North Berkeley. But when we moved back to Ohio in 1991, we bought a nice home in a great neighborhood, two blocks from the lake, and our mortgage payment (including property tax and insurance) was noticeably less than our rent had been in Berkeley.

We almost moved back to Berkeley in 1998, but the housing prices had more than doubled. But the job fell through so the move didn't happen.

Housing prices had easily doubled yet again by 2006, but I imagine they've come down quite a bit recently. In any case, I love the Bay Area, and would like to think I'll move out there again someday. No place quite like it anywhere in the world.

• Members

Geez Chicago winters are MILD for the most part.

Well, compared to Minnesota, yes. But I wouldn't call them mild. :)

I've spent many years in Cleveland, living right near the lake, which usually keeps the winters a bit warmer and the summers a bit cooler. But like Rochester, proximity to the lake results in lots of gray, overcast days.

• Members

That's awesome.

We moved to Berkeley in 1987, and really liked it there. We had a great deal on rent, living in a two-bedroom newly-remodeled apartment that was actually the upstairs of a large home in North Berkeley. But when we moved back to Ohio in 1991, we bought a nice home in a great neighborhood, two blocks from the lake, and our mortgage payment (including property tax and insurance) was noticeably less than our rent had been in Berkeley.

We almost moved back to Berkeley in 1998, but the housing prices had more than doubled. But the job fell through so the move didn't happen.

Housing prices had easily doubled yet again by 2006, but I imagine they've come down quite a bit recently. In any case, I love the Bay Area, and would like to think I'll move out there again someday. No place quite like it anywhere in the world.

Berkeley is a great, unique place to live. The 80's were a good time to be here. By the late '90's, what I call ' the LA syndrome" crept up and took root.

( excessive traffic, manic materialistic lifestyle)

2005-2006 was definitely the real estate peak- amplified by the insane financial speculative bubble. I feel sorry for folks who bought in 2005-2006.

They have gotten reamed on high prop taxes and paid a premium for a home. The country assessors will not reduce prop taxes based on todays value- today , you could easily slice 33% off the purchase price from 2006.

Prices will slide another 20% in 2009, per the experts. We are seeing those super nice 3000 sq ft homes that were over $1 million slide to $680,000. And all they do is sit on the market for months. I am referring to San Ramon, Pleasanton, Livermore, Dublin. Rental prices are still strong- since so many folks have lost out on foreclosure.

I plan on staying here another 5-10 years. After that, I do have my sights on Sonoma- I like the small town feel. And the wine. You know

:thu:

• Members

Kansas checking in. Our dogs say that they don't want to go outside even for fifteen seconds to pee, and I can't blame them.

Wait are you from kansas???

Buy this coat:http://www.backcountry.com/store/MHW0016/Mountain-Hardwear-Sub-Zero-SL-Hooded-Down-Jacket-Mens.html

you won't regret it I promise!

BTW ONLY the question part was directed at you DLP.The other is directed at everyone who is cold.

Archived