Pedal For Trapped Under Ice Tone?

• Members

Kill Em All was definitely Rats into Marshalls. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ride The Lightning was something else because the tone is pretty different. Maybe they'd already discovered Boogies or rack stuff. I know Kirk used to use ADA MP1s back in the day.

• Members

Hetfield, Guitar Player, October 1992

Distortion always starts with the amp. Pedals just sit on top of the sound. They don't feel like a full part of it, just some fuzz on top. You can fiddle with parametric EQs and all that {censored} for days, but it still won't have the smooth distortion of an amp. The last time I used a distortion pedal was on Ride the Lightning. It was an Ibanez Tube Screamer, like Kirk uses. It really helps his solos cut through, but it puts a {censored}ty coating on smooth rhythm tones, and it was hard to not make it sound like a pedal...

^^^

• Members

i'm pretty sure it was tubescreamers boosting the high gain input of a 2203. Master of Puppets was the first album they did using mesas. they both used mark iic+'s on MOP, but before that was all marshalls. you can really tell. Those first couple of albums just sound so marshally to me.

• Members

i'm pretty sure it was tubescreamers boosting the high gain input of a 2203. Master of Puppets was the first album they did using mesas. they both used mark iic+'s on MOP, but before that was all marshalls. you can really tell. Those first couple of albums just sound so marshally to me.

So should I be looking for a combination of pedals? One for the 2203 sound then a TS9 to boost it?

• Members

i don't think that would work well.

if you're boosting an amp with a pedal that's one thing. but if you're boosting an amp with a pedal and then stacking that pedal with yet another pedal the result will most likely, not saying ti will sound bad, but it will probably be way different than what you were expecting.

i'd just try a good, versatyle distortion pedal and/or a Marshall-in-a-box. should get you close if you have the right setup.

• Members

So should I be looking for a combination of pedals? One for the 2203 sound then a TS9 to boost it?

i would think so, if you can get something to make your vox sound like a 2203. that seems like a bit of a chore maybe. i don't have much experience with vox, but they seem a bit weird with pedals and pretty different from marshalls to me.

• Members

i don't think that would work well.

if you're boosting an amp with a pedal that's one thing. but if you're boosting an amp with a pedal and then stacking that pedal with yet another pedal the result will most likely, not saying ti will sound bad, but it will probably be way different than what you were expecting.

i'd just try a good, versatyle distortion pedal and/or a Marshall-in-a-box. should get you close if you have the right setup.

you know, i think your right. they're getting that sound by hitting the tubes in the marshall with a ts. if you put a pedal in front of the vox to get the 2203 sound, then the ts will be hitting the transistors in that pedal instead of tubes, and it's just not going to be the same. it may sound good, who knows. i love stacking dirt, but it's definitely not going to be the same.

• Members

you know, i think your right. they're getting that sound by hitting the tubes in the marshall with a ts. if you put a pedal in front of the vox to get the 2203 sound, then the ts will be hitting the transistors in that pedal instead of tubes, and it's just not going to be the same. it may sound good, who knows. i love stacking dirt, but it's definitely not going to be the same.

Sounds fair to me, so no one's made a pedal designed to cop those types of tones?

Archived