Redundant Buffers

Mikoo69

• Members

I have a T1M Buffer that I have been using after all my Fuzz Pedals/Overdrives, since most of my signal is TB.

I just got a Lehle D.Loop pedal which has a buffer in it as well (switchable with gain knob). I really dig the sound of this buffer and the slight boost is nice.

My question is, can I lose the T1M buffer since I have the Lehle now? The only problem I could forsee with this, is that my signal would have to run through one more TB pedal (the mojo vibe) before hitting the Lehle Buffer, if I remove the T1M Buffer. That's about an extra 18" of cabe, before the signal gets buffered. I understand you want the buffer as close to the pickups as possible, so wondering if it pays to keep the T1M on there so it get's buffered 18" earlier, or if that's redundant, and I should just have the Lehle as the first buffer in the chain.

The only other buffered pedal is a Boss DD-6 pedal that comes right after the Lehle. The rest of the chain is TB. Is the T1M redundant?

• Members

I dunno man, 18" is a LOTTTTT of cable. I can hear the difference in my tone with every inch I add. So putting that buffer in will really help retain signal clarity.

I kid, i kid. Probably won't be able to tell. It's just a few feet. People usually start whining about this stuff after several feet, and even then the effect of cable (unless they're super sucky cables) is subtle. Take the buffer out.

• Members

I dunno man, 18" is a LOTTTTT of cable. I can hear the difference in my tone with every inch I add. So putting that buffer in will really help retain signal clarity.

I kid, i kid. Probably won't be able to tell. It's just a few feet. People usually start whining about this stuff after several feet, and even then the effect of cable (unless they're super sucky cables) is subtle. Take the buffer out.

at first i was like :confused: and :eek: then I was like ohhhh :lol::cool:

• Members

:lol: Good one you had me going there for a sec..... agreed that it would only be noticeable after several feet, atleast 20-30 at the minimum.

• Members

well, it is more than 30 feet.

starts with 25' cable from guitar to pedalboard. then hits 7 or 8 true bypass pedals, each with 6" - 18" of cable between them, before hitting the first buffer.

so i guess once I am between 30-40 feet of cable, and extra 18" won't make much of a difference? I can't put a buffer before any of the fuzzes, it doesn't like it.

also, i hear that the mojovibe will sound different with a buffer before, or after...i will experiment and report my findings.

• Members

I can't possibly imagine that the 18" is going to matter at all. And why do you have a 25 foot cable before the pedal board? Are you just running all over the stage all the time or something? I'm pretty active when i play, but i find a 15 foot cable to be more than enough, although i guess i'm active mostly in a staying in one place kind of way. Maybe what you should really be asking yourself is if you really need to be running around like that.

• Members

I can't possibly imagine that the 18" is going to matter at all. And why do you have a 25 foot cable before the pedal board? Are you just running all over the stage all the time or something? I'm pretty active when i play, but i find a 15 foot cable to be more than enough, although i guess i'm active mostly in a staying in one place kind of way. Maybe what you should really be asking yourself is if you really need to be running around like that.

This. That first 25' is what's killing the toans, man.

• Members

can't really go shorter than 25' live...maybe 18-20 but yeah i like to use all of the stage, our music gets me too amped up to just stand there.

would an 18 footer make much of a difference compared to the 25? in the studio i'm down to go shorter, but live is another story...i guess live the minor details of a buffer probably doesn't matter to anyone, and i probably wont hear the difference myself in most of the rooms...

• Members

Move your board more out front, use a 12 footer between you and the board, then put your best buffer right before the board-to-amp cable.

If you really need a 25 foot radius out front, you need to look into a high-end wireless.

• Members

i'd be interested in a high end wireless, though i've heard they don't work well with fuzzes.

soapbladder: your right will try it out when i get back to my studio on monday, just figured i'd ask and find out other people's experiences/thoughts.

Archived