El Capistan owners: A question...

natepink

• Members

I recently picked up an El Capistan, I like it a lot. I've been playing about with sound on sound, I'm pretty terrible but it's fun. I just want to check whether this is normal or not...

So I have the pedal in bypass/trails mode, & if you record a loop in sound on sound, when you click the bypass switch off, the loop continues to play. The mix knob when turned is now effectively a volume knob right? Controlling how loud that loop is playing.

So with that loop playing, with the bypass light off, if I crank the mix knob all the way clockwise & start to turn it to the left, as if to fade out the loop for example, the volume isn't affected until I go past 9 o clock. It seems the volume is only affected in that first quarter of the mix knob, with 9 being max and 1 being muted.

That seems odd, but is that just normal?

• Members

I recently picked up an El Capistan, I like it a lot. I've been playing about with sound on sound, I'm pretty terrible but it's fun. I just want to check whether this is normal or not...

So I have the pedal in bypass/trails mode, & if you record a loop in sound on sound, when you click the bypass switch off, the loop continues to play. The mix knob when turned is now effectively a volume knob right? Controlling how loud that loop is playing.

So with that loop playing, with the bypass light off, if I crank the mix knob all the way clockwise & start to turn it to the left, as if to fade out the loop for example, the volume isn't affected until I go past 9 o clock. It seems the volume is only affected in that first quarter of the mix knob, with 9 being max and 1 being muted.

That seems odd, but is that just normal?

According to the manual, mix controls dry vs wet with 3 o'clock being 50/50, not volume.

• Members

According to the manual, mix controls dry vs wet with 3 o'clock being 50/50, not volume.

Yeh I get that part & it works like that when you are in record mode.

But if you switch the bypass switch off, while in trails mode, then the loop continues to play & while set like that, the loop keeps repeating & nothing you play is recorded, so the mix knob just controls the volume of the repeating loop.

• Members

Well just incase anyone else ends up wondering the same thing, apparently it's normal, here's what Strymon said:

You're correct, when in Trails mode and your pedal is Bypassed, the Mix knob does essentially become a Volume knob for the loop.

Regarding your second question, what you're experiencing is normal operation, the volume of the loop isn't effected very much between 12 o'clock and max.

Archived