What floor units will do the 4 cable method well?

primeholy

• Members

If you're going to do it, make sure you're running it through a serial loop. Even parallel loops with 100% wet mixes were still suspect to issues.

I used to four-cable with a Boss GT-6. The 6/8/10 most definitely can do it, and do it quite well.

• Members

With something like a Line 6 M13 it should be dead straightforward to get it working, though I have to admit when I tried running my M13 4CM I had a horrible time with ground loops, and I never figured out how to make the hum go away. I've heard others complain the same thing, and I think it's pretty choosey about which amps it plays nice with.

With something like a Boss GT series, you're gonna have to do an awful lot of {censored}ing around with send/receive levels within the menus of the Boss unit to make it sound good. It is absolutely possible, but it's a pain in the dick to make it sound good at first. Once you've got it dialled in though, you can just copy those settings across to all your patches.

• Members

Just done a bit of reading up, and apparently it's a series effects loop so you should be good. I've read a report of there being some parallel bleed, which may potentially cause some issues, but it sounds like the bleed is really low so you probably won't detect it.

Thanks Bubbles :thu:

• Members

With something like a Line 6 M13 it should be dead straightforward to get it working, though I have to admit when I tried running my M13 4CM I had a horrible time with ground loops, and I never figured out how to make the hum go away. I've heard others complain the same thing, and I think it's pretty choosey about which amps it plays nice with.

With something like a Boss GT series,
you're gonna have to do an awful lot of {censored}ing around with send/receive levels within the menus
of the Boss unit to make it sound good. It is absolutely possible, but it's a pain in the dick to make it sound good at first. Once you've got it dialled in though, you can just copy those settings across to all your patches.

I had a digitech gnx4 about 6 years ago. Getting the levels between patches consistent was my biggest issue for getting rid of it.

• Members

I'm not talking about the overall patch volume, I'm talking about the send and receive levels for the effects loop on the GT-5/6/8/10. It's not something you should have an ongoing problem with because once you work out the proper settings, those settings will work on ever patch. It's a pain, though!

Trying to think of units that I know will do the 4CM. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but off the top of my head:

Line 6 M13

Line 6 Pod X3

Line 6 HD500 (possibly the 400 too, but definitely not the 300)

Digitech RP1000

Zoom G9

Boss GT-5

Boss GT-6

Boss GT-8

Boss GT-10

Boss GT-whatever the new one's called

TC Electronic G System

There will be a tonne more, I'm sure.

Archived