what's Pittsburgh like?

• Members

My wife's job is something that could allow us to emigrate to the USA at some point in a couple of years, so I've been looking at cool cities to consider. I've been interested in Portland Oregon, but today stumbled across the idea of Pittsburgh.

From what I've read, it seems to have everything... Proper seasons with cold winters and hot summers, a big city with lots to do, great employment opportunities, low cost of living, etc etc.

So what's it like? Anyone been, or live there?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just went for the first time last month.

The lady and I had a fantastic time.

Great museums, good bars, enough to keep you busy.

Gorgeous skyline and pretty well thought out development, of the parts I've seen at least.

Reminded me of Baltimore a lot, just a bit further along in terms of revitalization

I really really like it.

• Members

I've lived in the area my entire life so I guess asking me what Pittsburgh's like is like asking a fish how's the water. However, I've met a ton of people from around the country and the world that have moved here for school or work and the impression I get is that they're often charmed by how it feels like a really big small town rather than a city, very unique geography/topography, fairly good standard of living, and reasonably good cultural amenities for a city it's size. However, what does seem to tire some people is that it's not especially diverse or cosmopolitan in comparison to other places in the US. It's still very working class white place in a relatively rural part of the country with all of the prejudices and ignorance that implies.

• Members

Last time I saw Pittsburgh was in a recent documentary. It was being destroyed by an Englishman on steroids wearing a mask. And a bunch of bridges collapsing and the football stadium getting blown up, and a bunch of criminals with guns and tanks and {censored}.

Definitely not a good place to be.

• Members

Also, IC Light.

Had my first taste of that stuff ever while I was there. I found it extremely appropriate for consuming mass quantities of before and after drinking up and down Carson. It was like water :lol:

• Members

Awesome. I haven't even gotten as far as researching different neighbourhoods etc. This is like a 5 year plan if it's going to happen at all, and we'd certainly need to visit a few times before making any definite decisions.

In my mind though, it would be an easy choice. Property prices over there are cheaper than where we currently live, yet my wife's job would pay 3x what she earns here. To me, that's a {censored}ing no brainer.

• Members

Had my first taste of that stuff ever while I was there. I found it extremely appropriate for consuming mass quantities of before and after drinking up and down Carson. It was like water
:lol:

LOL, I've only actually had IC or IC Light a few times despite my drinking. Frankly, as much as everyone talks {censored} I think it compares favorably to the All the times I've had to drink Keystone or Natty I have to think I'd be better off with IC. Rolling Rock, however, is {censored}ing life scarring.

• Members

In my mind though, it would be an easy choice. Property prices over there are cheaper than where we currently live, yet my wife's job would pay 3x what she earns here. To me, that's a {censored}ing no brainer.

Yea, Pittsburgh pretty much dodged the whole housing bust and boom and has been slow and steady in regards to housing prices. Pittsburgh is getting a lot of attention (I swear there's a NY TImes article about it every other month!), the population's stabilized and rising so housing prices are starting to go up. If you're shrewd you can still get a house for pretty cheap and watch it grow in value a lot.

I think some other areas are already "hip" and saturated and you probably won't find a good deal

• Members

Yea, Pittsburgh pretty much dodged the whole housing bust and boom and has been slow and steady in regards to housing prices. Pittsburgh is getting a lot of attention (I swear there's a NY TImes article about it every other month!), the population's stabilized and rising so housing prices are starting to go up. If you're shrewd you can still get a house for pretty cheap and watch it grow in value a lot.

I think some other areas are already "hip" and saturated and you probably won't find a good deal

The area I live in now is relatively cheap, so with my wife's 300% pay rise we could afford to pay a fair bit more over there than we could here. SO I wouldn't be looking at the most exclusive areas in town or anything like that, but we certainly wouldn't need to only be looking at the ghettos.

Which neighbourhoods do you think are worth looking at? Ideally somewhere pretty close to the city, but where we could find a house with a garden without paying absolute top dollar.

Archived