Another Travel Thread: San Antonio

Ryan.

• Members

Going there for an Air Force retirement ceremony thingy.

Anyone been? BBQ? SBBQ? MMIO!?

Am I just gonna be hot and bored?

Alamo, Spanish Missions, Sea World, Fiesta Texas, River Walk. Great Tex mex. BBQ= Rudy's, Big Bib, Smoke Shack

• Members

"Yer gonna pass on going to the murder capital of the world with the HCFX drug czar?" Very deeply hurt at my lack of invite; must've been lost in the mail. :( Three hour drive for me ...

San Antonio really isn't much fun IMHO. Since Austin's 90 minutes away, you may as well head up for a half a day or so ... time it to avoid rush hour and it's a very easy drive.

Nukular testing done both in various parts of Nevada and at White Sands (where things still go BOOM! all the time). If you've not been to Juarez, no real reason to go (even if you delight in the thought of taking a wrong turn and having your severed head tossed over the embassy wall); it and El Paso are also dull as {censored}. Cruces has a smidge more fun, and Austin's a damn good time.

• Members

Last "giant" tarantula that I knew where the nest was died over the winter. It's nest (under garden steps) currently inhabited by adolescent. I can bring you pics and movies, though.

Which label version of the vinyl? Say "Genius Records" and I might have to drive down.

Are you going to be getting drunk? I do that really well.

• Members

Eat at Mamacita's. Really good Mexican food; and I HATE Mexican food.

The downtown area is really pretty cool. I MUCH prefer it to Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc.... You'll generally always find a mariachi band playing, and in general, it's a very festive city. Stay away from the South side.

So yeah... downtown, the Alamo, Riverwalk, TONS of great restaurants.... can't really go wrong with S.A. :thu:

EDIT: You MUST eat at Rudy's if you love bbq - it's amazing. GET THE CREAM CORN!!!! I hate cream corn and that stuff will change your life - freaking amazing. :thu:

• Members

San Antonio's OK. It can be fun for a couple of days. I like the idea of going to your thing then heading up to Austin. Austin is infinitely more fun.

The Alamo is kind of tiny and boring. There are some amazing other missions in the area, though.

Eat at Mamacita's. Really good Mexican food; and I HATE Mexican food.

The downtown area is really pretty cool. I MUCH prefer it to Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc.... You'll generally always find a mariachi band playing, and in general, it's a very festive city. Stay away from the South side.

So yeah... downtown, the Alamo, Riverwalk, TONS of great restaurants.... can't really go wrong with S.A.
:thu:

Mamacita's is Tex Mex. You can hate Mexican and love Tex Mex. It's hard to find Mexican food in Texas. I'll just ignore the San Antonio > Austin statement. It's empirically wrong.

What's wrong with the South Side?

• Members

San Antonio's OK. It can be fun for a couple of days. I like the idea of going to your thing then heading up to Austin. Austin is infinitely more fun.

The Alamo is kind of tiny and boring. There are some amazing other missions in the area, though.

Mamacita's is Tex Mex. You can hate Mexican and love Tex Mex. It's hard to find Mexican food in Texas. I'll just ignore the San Antonio > Austin statement. It's empirically wrong.

What's wrong with the South Side?

Austin, and the people in it, has become so full of itself, that it's just a very arrogant city overall. I know everyone talks about it being a very friendly city, but I completely disagree. People are pompous and very confrontational. The traffic system was VERY poorly designed there too. Just horrible bumper to bumper traffic, pretty much no matter what time of day you're driving. Is there lots of good music? Absolutely. But that's pretty much the only reason to visit Austin imo. 6th Street and the downtown area is just filth.

As for the South side of S.A..... there is lots... and I mean LOTS of gang activity. Just a pretty dangerous area overall.

• Members

Of course Austin's arrogant. It's a successful town experiencing a boom. There are assholes the world around; I don't find more in Austin than, say, NYC or LA. OTOH, there's great music, and a lot of good hanging out (springs, bars, food carts). Also: many attractive women. Traffic's kind of like any other city; not sure when you were there, but apart from the insane cluster{censored} that is SXSW, I don't find it remarkable.

The photo of the colored vinyl PP literally made me salivate. That's. {censored}ing. Awesome.

Couldn't talk you into visiting ABQ/Santa Fe instead of Juarez, could I? If you don't have business there, I can't for the life of me imagine wanting to visit there over here.

+1 for Rudy's BBQ (we have one here, it's a small regional chain). Not amazing, but very very good and reliable, reasonably priced. Moist brisket a must.

Archived