Hipster universe folds in on itself

Axe_34

• Members

Because of the extremely productive nature of the English language, it's easy to make words fit into different parts of speech. So yes, Hipster is a noun, but it can be used as an adjective when describing something ("Adam is a hipster" or "Wow, that thing sure is hipstery"). It could also be turned into a verb if you wanted to saying that someone was hipstering, or as an adverb ("hipster dancing"). If anyone doesn't believe me, look at this sentence I just came up with: "On his way to the hipster, the hipster hipstered past the other hipster while hipstering." Completely meaningless, but it follows the rules of the English language.

That is amazing. You actually never used the word hipster directly as an adjective in your argument that hipster is an adjective...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is amazing. You actually never used the word hipster directly as an adjective in your argument that hipster is an adjective...

An adjective modifies a noun. Saying something "is a hipster" is modifying it; so is describing it as "hipstery." It's the same usage as saying "The hall is dark" (saying what the noun is like) or "That amp looks cool and tweed-y" (describing the noun).

English contains all the affixes it does so words can be modified to fit whatever context they need to. Maybe strict language prescriptivists wouldn't agree, but I'm talking about the usage in a descriptive context.

• Members

An adjective modifies a noun. Saying something "is a hipster" is modifying it; so is describing it as "hipstery." It's the same usage as saying "The hall is dark" (saying what the noun is like) or "That amp looks cool and tweed-y" (describing the noun).

English contains all the affixes it does so words can be modified to fit whatever context they need to. Maybe strict language prescriptivists wouldn't agree, but I'm talking about the usage in a descriptive context.

saying "adam is a hipster" is using the word as an objective noun, not an adjective. It's like saying "i am a man". Man is not an adjective there, it is the object. You could say "adam is wearing a hipster shirt". I think that sentence proves your point.

• Members

saying "adam is a hipster" is using the word as an objective noun, not an adjective. It's like saying "i am a man". Man is not an adjective there, it is the object. You could say "adam is wearing a hipster shirt". I think that sentence proves your point.

It probably depends on how the word is being used, but I was thinking that hipster is descriptive in that context. Yeah, the "a" makes it a little iffy (I guess "Adam is hipster-ish" would be better), but I was intending the word as a descriptor, not as a pronoun, although I guess it could be read as either. English has too much potential for ambiguity. But, the sentence isn't something like "Adam likes hipsters," where hipster is clearly being used an an objective noun, saying something "is" something usually implies some sort of description.

Your example is a lot clearer, though.

Archived