I'm an Idiot (Speaker Selection)

• Members

I have neglected to take note of how much proper speaker selection can affect tone... I've been using a G12H30 and a V30 for years and have never been very happy with my tone... I played through a couple different speakers and It blew my mind... Not necesarily how good it sounded, just how different... I have a 212 Open Back cab and have an AC15 clone running into it... I love my clean tone and have enough to gig with but I'd love some more speaker headroom, because the classic lead 80s had waaaaay more... So Im looking for high sensitivity, high headroom, and punchy lows that I'm lacking... I've been eyeing the Eminence Tonker... Anyone have suggestions? I'm not looking for Blues btw...

In B 4 "you're an Idiot..."

• Members

V30's are pretty powerful speakers. Made for the tone you speak of. Never messed with the G12H30.

Try a closed back 212 with V30's or G1275's (I prefer the 75's, and recommend a Marshall 1396 212 cab) Also, you're not gonna have crazy headroom with 15 watts. Loud enough to gig with, yeah, but it won't stay clean super loud.

• Members

My problem is flabby/mushy lows and low mids... I'm used to a Blackface Bassman and I'm unclear if this is a Vox thing, and it's fine if it is, but I just feel like I may be doing it wrong...

Is it flabby when you play with the band?

I only ask because a buddy of mine recently traded a Supersonic60 for one of the Bassman 410 LTD Reissues. He loved the tone for the most part but felt the low end was flabby. Then, in a mix with the band and stuff, it sounded great. Just nice and full.

Always consider the MIX! :thu:

• Members

Go to the Celstion website:

http://celestion.com/category/4/guitar/

I think your eyes, I mean, ears, may be opened.

However, if your benchmark is Blackface Fender, the Vox will probably be lacking in your desired sturdy lows and low mids.

Vox is an EL-84 based design, which emphasizes a chimey high-midrange with a somewhat early and compressed breakup at the expense of the glassy highs, scooped mids and taut bottom end that the 6L6 tube Blackface Fenders are known for.

Also, if the AC-15 is an open-backed cab configuration, while the Bassman is the 2 x 12 closed cab, that will make a big difference in the firmness of your bottom.

The guitar, that is.

As always, YMMV.

Archived