OCD vs BB preamp

lofgren

• Members

Looking to buy another overdrive. Im down to 2 choices, either the OCDv4, or BB preamp. Im running an AC30C2 with an analogman TS9 silvermod and hotcake now but want something to add for some punch/boost and more sustain. which would give me a thicker/fatter tone? I use all strats for guitars. any opinions/advice?

thanks

• Members

I've never used a BB but I did gig with an OCD v4 and my ac30 for a while. They work well together. Also, boosting the OCD with a tubescreamer got some sweet tones. The output buffer thing wasn't great - the more unbuffered stuff hanging off the output, the more mellow (and IMO good) it sounded. So if you have a true bypass pedal between it and the amp the OCD gets brighter when you turn the other pedal on. Just something to be mindful of.

Also the OCD is quite an open and dynamic pedal. Personally I think it worked much better as a standalone overdrive that you could boost with pedals in front of to get more sustain. Using it as a booster of something else I had less luck with, though I know some people have used it like that so it might just be a preference thing.

Archived