Unanswered Question - Voyager OS vs. Mini D

Yoozer

• Members

I seem to recall that I've asked the lucky soul who owns both of these about any differences - y'know, otherwise stripping out all the fun bits from the Voyager was a costly but ultimately useless endeavour.

While I am aware that the original Voy and Mini aren't comparable (it's never perfect, ever - *sigh*), I'd like to know if the OS gets more into this direction.

• Members

Up until recently, no, the OS still isn't close to the Mini. Now that the OS is being discontinued, though, it'll sound a lot closer, and in a few years when they become scarce on the used market, they'll sound exactly like a Mini.

Yes. This is great.

• Members

Up until recently, no, the OS still isn't close to the Mini. Now that the OS is being discontinued, though, it'll sound a lot closer, and in a few years when they become scarce on the used market, they'll sound exactly like a Mini.

Excellent observation!

• Members

I'd like to know if the OS gets more into this direction.

I thought the Voyager OS interface was more intuitive than the regular Voyager's. It's not a big difference, but for me it just "worked" a bit better. Soooo, in that regard, the OS is closer to the Model D, imho.

Was this supposed to be a sarcastic question, Yooz-man? :wave:

- CM

• Members

Was this supposed to be a sarcastic question, Yooz-man?
:wave:

I wouldn't dare. See, here's the thing: since I've acquired a piano, my next big saving project (if I ever recover, in 5 years or so maybe) will be a nice monosynth. Due to budget constraints it'll either be a Voy OS (not that interested in the multitouch pad or the backlights) or a bunch of dotcom modules used in a similar configuration (what it lacks in playability it has to make up in configurability).

Yes, I am aware that these are vastly different things and that it's probably blasphemy to make something on a modular that doesn't sound like a burlap sack of kittens dipped halfway into an incinerator, but still.

I don't know, maybe I should go try an SE1x too.

• Members

Funny, yet that's how it seems to go. I predict that will be the case with the P 08.

• Members

Due to budget constraints it'll either be a Voy OS (not that interested in the multitouch pad or the backlights) or a bunch of dotcom modules used in a similar configuration (what it lacks in playability it has to make up in configurability).

Yes, I am aware that these are vastly different things and that it's probably blasphemy to make something on a modular that doesn't sound like a burlap sack of kittens dipped halfway into an incinerator, but still.

I don't know, maybe I should go try an SE1x too.

I really like the SE1x. And apparently SE is releasing a keyboard version of it later this year. But yes, you really should try them all out. Judging by the Synthforum.nl 'Te Koop' forum, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to find all of these aforementioned synths to try out :)

If you're thinking about going modular, maybe look into the MOS-LAB modular?

- CM

Archived