Customs & duty fees question in the US for pedals sent from Europe?

Pedaltones

• Members

A punter from the US wants to buy my '70s Fuzz I have listed for sale but is wondering what you guys pay in Customs fees for pedals sent from Europe?

Is there a threshold value where anything under would be exempt from duty?

I'm guessing most of you don't purchase pedals from outside North America what with your abundance of choice at cheaper prices than here. For those that have can you enlighten me please and help your fellow citizens get some good ol' fashion tax breaks for the average joe instead of the 1%ers. redface.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by loosegroove

View Post

Actually as long as it's been sent via the Post (and NOT DHL,UPS,Fedex, or any independent carriers), I've never payed customs on anything I've purchased internationally. I've I've bought some expensive pedals from across the pond.

Yeah it works the same way coming from the US to here if using DHL,Fedex ect. They also have the temerity to charge the recipient a handling fee on top of getting paid for their service by the sender.

Bastids mad.gif

I'm sending via ordinary post but registering it.

• Members

For anyone interested this is what I found from the US embassy website in London.

Is there a duty-free allowance for merchandise shipments?

Yes - $200.00 for commercial shipments or for a personal shipment of merchandise sent to oneself such as ordering off a foreign web site addressed to yourself.

What is the duty-free allowance for sending gifts?

Gifts Sent By Mail

Persons in the U.S. may receive, free of duty, a gift mailed from a foreign country or a Caribbean Basin beneficiary country if the shipment does not exceed $100 based upon its retail value, or $200 if sent from the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam. You may send as many gifts as you wish, but the U.S. addressee will be required to pay duty if the gift parcels received in one day total more than $100 (or $200). Gifts that exceed these amounts will be subject to customs duty based on the entire value. There is no $100 (or $200) deduction.

Packages should be marked "Unsolicited Gift", with the name of the donor, nature of the gift, and fair retail value of the package clearly written on the outside wrapper.

Alcoholic beverages, cigars, cigarettes, and perfumes containing alcohol may not be included within this gift privilege.

Gifts intended for more than one person may be consolidated in the same package provided they are individually wrapped and labeled with the name of the recipient.

Be sure that the outer wrapping of the package is marked: 1) unsolicited gift, 2) nature of the gift, and 3) its fair retail value. In addition, a consolidated gift parcel should be marked as such on the outside with the names of the recipients listed and the value of each gift. This will facilitate customer clearance of your package.

• Members

You can mark it as a gift, and state a value below the threshold (keep in mind, though, that the pedal will not be insured to its full value, so it can end up costing you). If they bother to look, and decide the value declared is too low, the customs people will set the value where they think it should be... As has already been mentioned, the carrier used can make ALL the difference. And even if you use the good old mail service, some of their services are handled by courier companies at the other end. When I've had stuff shipped from the US to Sweden, for instance, I've had quite different results when the seller used USPS Priority Mail vs USPS Express Mail (the former seems to slip through easier).

Customs fees, tax/VAT etc is always the buyer's responsibility, and I'd be wary of shipping overseas unless I feel the buyer is well aware of that. The last thing you want is an argument with a buyer who is unhappy with you over something you can't control. Personally, when I buy stuff from the US, I always factor in those extra costs, and count myself lucky if I end up not having to pay them. Far better than treating them as nasty surprises smile.gif

Archived